Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
sumeet
Service Provider
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Sumeet P

Upgrade from 5.x to 6.1 fails

Post by sumeet »

Hello,

While upgrading one of my VBM servers from 5.x to 6.1 latest patch, failed without much details. When the upgrade failed, all the VBM services were unconfigured. The log did not help much. I did not have a snapshot of the server (as the data is on object storage).
When I ran the installer again, it started as though it is a fresh installation.

Opened a sev1 case (05824272) with Veeam and had support on a webex looking at the setup.
Supported suggested to copy the Veeam365 folder for backup purpose. This folder was 22.x GB in size and C drive did only had 18GB free space. So we copied this folder to a different drive.

Installing the same previous 5.x VBM works, the services are available again and the console opens up. But the upgrade fails. Several attempts were done, but all with same error.
Somehow we realized that the installer creates a copy of ConfigDB and ProxyDB, which might be failing as C drive only had 18GB, while ConfigDB was 21.x GB in size.

Increased the size of C drive and ran the upgrade and it worked.

This is to inform all of this scenario and to make sure sufficient free space is available.

I have never seen ConfigDB size to be 21.x GB, but it must be because we have many jobs on this setup.

I will request Veeam PMs to inform Engg to add this check as part of installer. Any software product which creates a backup of existing configuration, has to have a check of the size of data it is going to backup and compare it with the available free space on the drive. Even the installer error was no helpful.

Thanks,
-Sumeet.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Upgrade from 5.x to 6.1 fails

Post by Mike Resseler »

@sumeet

Thanks for letting us know. I will verify with the DEV and QA team this week what is going on. I do find it strange that the configDB is 21 GB in size, even if you say you have many jobs, 21 GB still seems like too much. Did support mentioned something about that?

Thanks
Mike
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet »

Hi Mike,

Support did not raise any concerns related to the config db size.
Your concerns for configDB size is concerning to me.
Will wait to know what DEV/QA team has to say.

Thanks,
-Sumeet.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Sumeet,

21 GB is something I have seen before (a few times), but that does mean you have to have lots of data from sessions and jobs and so on. Forgot about that because it is something that is on my list of things to do and I was already thinking about it before it got implemented :-(. Apologies.

I did had a quick chat with the DEV team last week and we briefly discussed this. I will create a scenario for them to make sure that there is an additional check and even if there is a different possibility to solve this upgrade issue.
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the update.

Good to have this handled in upgrade scenario. Though I have added this step (to check drive space) in my upgrade to-do list for VBM.

Regards,
-Sumeet.