Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

VBO Best Practice AND Legacy Repos

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All.
We have been deploying VBO for many years now and have several VBO repos out there that backup directly to DAS. Some use item level repos and others use snapshot based repos. For our recent deployments we have been going full object-based repos via Wasabi and that has worked well. So we would like to get all the repos consistent across the board so we are wondering what is best practice to deploy VBO with the latest version 8.x. We have the following questions.

#1) Is it still possible to convert from item level to snapshot level?
#2) Is it possible to create a "backup copy" job based scenario.? I know with the jet database backend of a local repo it is not the same. But we would like to have on-prem as well as an offsite version via cloud object storage.
#3) To migrate from a local jet-based local repo to wasabi is it still recommended to use the powershell script that was released a couple years ago or is there an easier way?

With V8 out now we want to adopt best practices for legacy as well as new ones since we are deploying a lot of these VBO backups lately.

Thanks for any input
Dave
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1307 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VBO Best Practice AND Legacy Repos

Post by Mike Resseler »

#1. No, that has actually never been possible unless you start from a full backup again, which I assume is a no go at this point in time for you
#2. I'm not sure if I understand what you want to do, but in essence, for the future path of this solution. Move all towards Object Storage and yes, you would be able to take backups to OSR (Wasabi in your case) and then a backup copy to local OSR somewhere. At least, if I understood you correctly.
#3. Soon, see below.

Right now we are working on v8.1 and that will come with a few enhancements around your scenario's. For starters, there will be a cmdlet that allows you to migrate a jet DB repository to OSR repository. Moving you away from those old-style repositories. There is also already 1 scenario there where we will support copying data from 1 OSR to another OSR but what is possible will be limited at first. For further versions (8.2, 8.3...) we will have true "migration" scenario's which will allow you to migrate from 1 type of OSR to another type of OSR including having different parameters (for example, moving from non-immutable to immutable OSR or similar)

Hope it makes sense