Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

backup of Azure Storage accounts

Post by sandsturm »

Hi all

I need to create backups of different Azure Storage Accounts, but could not find an option in VBAZ to do that. How can I achieve a backup of a storage account with Veeam?

many thanks and regards,
sandsturm
hani92
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hani Immam

Re: backup of Azure Storage accounts

Post by hani92 »

Hi,

What is it that you are trying to backup in Azure Storage Accounts? Currently VBAz can backup Azure Files and send backups to Azure Blob storage.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

The point is, that I do not have a clue about all the contents in the different storage accounts. Usually we have different containers within a storageaccount with data of an application. I just need an option to backup these things. A storage account provides the option to store data in containers (blobs), File shares (as you said), queues or tables. I just need the option to have a generic option to backup data of these storage accounts, doesn't matter whats in it.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

it looks like Veeam VBR version 12.1 will bring the capability to backup data from Azure storage accounts at least for blob storage accounts and that should solve my problem.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sandsturm

Correct. You will be able to protect the content of an Azure Blob storage. Stay tuned for a release till end of this year.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

I just read here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ob-storage that a backup of storage accounts encrypted with a customer managed key cannot be backed up?
My question is then: How does veeam create backups of "standard" Storage accounts? Every storage account is encrypted per default. The difference is only the customer managed key, which is used or even not used. Is the process different and is there no way to create backups of storage accounts encrypted with a customer managed key?

thx,
sandsturm
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

No difference, both are supported and we work correctly with Microsoft-managed and customer-managed encryption keys. The note in the help center was aimed to mention that customer-provided encryption keys for specific blobs are not supported. I've asked TW to correct the statement.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

No difference, both are supported and we work correctly ...
That is great news!

thx,
sandsturm