Salesforce backup and restore for data, files and metadata
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 25 times

Different PostgreSQL server for Configuration and Salesforce database

Post by andre.simard » 2 people like this post

Hi,

As per the documentation on page 24, it is recommended to use a local Postgres for the VBSF configuration database and use another PostgreSQL server for the Salesforce production database.

How do we configure separate server for each database? In the initial configuration step to connect to Postgres, we don't have the option of configuring different servers for each database.

Thank you,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Different PostgreSQL server for Configuration and Salesforce database

Post by Mike Resseler » 2 people like this post

Hi Andre,

Each time you add an organization, you can point that organization to a self-defined DB. See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbsf/ ... tml?ver=10

So simply configure the solution, and then add a new database server/ database to the configuration, and create a backup policy for a new SFDC organization.

Hope it helps
Mike
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 25 times

Post by andre.simard »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will take a look at it.
RO_Ubi
Novice
Liked: never

Post by RO_Ubi »

Mike Resseler wrote: Nov 01, 2022 1:44 pm Hi Andre,

Each time you add an organization, you can point that organization to a self-defined DB. See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbsf/ ... tml?ver=10

So simply configure the solution, and then add a new database server/ database to the configuration, and create a backup policy for a new SFDC organization.

Hope it helps
Mike
Hi, I'd like to run a further query past you related to this.

When configuring VBSF for the first time, you have to create a configuration database and Salesforce database on the management server, then when adding your first organisation, it uses the Default Backup Policy which looks to store the organisation data within the management server database.

Does this mean that, in order to use a separate PostgreSQL server for your organisation, you need to first add a 'dummy' org to be stored on the management server during the initial setup, and then add your actual production/sandbox org afterwards via a new backup policy?

Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@RO_Ubi

You want 2 different DB servers?

Through the configuration wizard, you can select immediately a separate server. I propose that you select the correct one for your configuration DB. This can be done in this step: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbsf/ ... tml?ver=10 (note also the possibility to change the names of the DBs)

Then I would suggest you run through the wizard, but don't let the policy run for the first time. Remove the organization and then add it again after adding a second PG server. If I understood your request correctly, then we will have a look at it and see if we can change the wizard a bit so it is possible through the initial configuration.

Out of curiosity. Any reason why you want to separate the config DB and the DATA DB to separate servers?
RO_Ubi
Novice
Liked: never

Post by RO_Ubi »

Hi Mike,

I'm following the configuration recommendations on the User Guide, see the note at the bottom of page 24 on the PDF:
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_sale ... df#page=24

It recommends that the configuration DB be hosted on the management server to avoid connectivity issues, but then create the databases to host the org data on remote PostgreSQL servers.

So if I'm understanding correctly, if we unselect 'Start backup policy after finish' and set the schedule for sometime in the future, the org data will not be added to the local management server DB immediately, giving us a window of time to remove the organization and re-add it on a new backup policy pointing at the remote PostgreSQL server?

It would be useful to have an option in the wizard to only create the config database initially and allow us to set-up the org database later on.

Thanks.
MIvanov
VP, Product Management
Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Maxim

Post by MIvanov »

@RO_Ubi fair point about UG recommendation and the first wizard, thank you. We will consider changes.