Salesforce backup and restore for data, files and metadata
mcnic2016
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel McNicol

Integrate with Backup & Replication? or windows release?

Post by mcnic2016 »

Hi,

interested in this product, would there be any possible integration with Backup and replication in the future to use existing storage repo?

Or a release for windows?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Integrate with Backup & Replication? or windows release?

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Daniel,
The product has just been released. As some other SaaS protection we have, like MS365 already in v6, I think it would take time to put them together under one single console or even use the same storage repo; it is highly unlikely.

A release for windows seems unlikely as well, as per all the dependencies and packages that the application is built-in. More and more Customers keep asking us to shift from Microsoft dependencies to Linux, not the other way around.

But working on the Product Management team of Veeam ONE, I can tell you that in terms of central visibility, monitoring, and reporting on SLA, RPO, Jobs history, etc. That would definitely come into future releases of Veeam ONE.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
MIvanov
VP, Product Management
Liked: 72 times
Full Name: Maxim

Post by MIvanov »

Thanks for the question. I'm not sure about the Windows release, although, it can run on windows today really.

Integration with VBR repository for files and scheduling, backup copy jobs is on the roadmap.
SnakeSK
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by SnakeSK »

jorgedlcruz wrote: Oct 29, 2022 11:42 am A release for windows seems unlikely as well, as per all the dependencies and packages that the application is built-in. More and more Customers keep asking us to shift from Microsoft dependencies to Linux, not the other way around.

But working on the Product Management team of Veeam ONE, I can tell you that in terms of central visibility, monitoring, and reporting on SLA, RPO, Jobs history, etc. That would definitely come into future releases of Veeam ONE.
Hello Jorge,

just to throw my 2 cents into this discussion. What you see here is precisely what is going to happen in the future times, you started as a Windows backup solution, over the years positioned yourself as a market leader in this segment, Microsoft was the reason you became so successful. And yes, more and more customers WILL speak in this way, because customers using Windows Servers wont bother your forums/support with posts saying "please stay on windows". We have customers that will not deploy any kind of linux servers because of company policies (it is prohibited), therefore this product is useless to us, and I also see no reason why would I need to spin up linux box just for backing up salesforce, when there are other products that work on Windows.

From my (as a customers) perspective, Veeam should really focus on integrating its products more. VBO is kind of afterthought in terms of management, you guys have Veeam One and literally over last release made zero effort into integrating VBO, VBS and VPN integrated into Veeam One. Veeam One should be the ONE product that oversees every products functionality, and this monitoring should be provided for free - to create a simple management and monitoring platform.

Please take a look how VBR does things, when they launch a product, they do it as a plugin, everything nicely integrated into one management UI, one set of requirements, and familiar interface. VBS? Not so much.

Now you released VBS that is built without any thought of Windows platform, please take a look at your customers with Veeam Agent that are unable to backup because the kernel maintainers basically screwed your module over.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
We have customers that will not deploy any kind of linux servers because of company policies (it is prohibited)
do these customers allow to deploy Linux-based virtual appliances where the customer does not need to manage anything about the Linux himself?

Best regards,
Hannes
cloudy
Novice
Liked: 13 times

Post by cloudy »

what is the likelihood of the salesforce backup being supported on the ubuntu platform?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Question the other way around... if we would deliver a "closed" appliance for VMware / AWS / Azure / whatever is needed, would you then still want to have the product on Ubuntu?
SnakeSK
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by SnakeSK »

HannesK wrote: Jan 16, 2023 9:15 am Hello,

do these customers allow to deploy Linux-based virtual appliances where the customer does not need to manage anything about the Linux himself?

Best regards,
Hannes
Yes, if the vendor has a support policy, contracts etc. and appropriate testing and certifications, then it is allowed.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@cloudy At this point in time Ubuntu is not on our list for support but that can change in the future depending on the demand. I will consider your request a +1