Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Taroking1
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

11a - Failed to retrieve updated or changed rows

Post by Taroking1 »

Not sure if anyone else is seeing an error message on some backup copy tasks. This has just started after upgrade to 11a.

On a backup copy job in the job progress window, if a machine shows as failed an attempt and replication and you click on it, a pop up error message appears. Once you click OK on the message, it will not appear again. This does not appear to affect running the backup copy job again, so not sure this is anything to worry about, but posting here for information.

Error message:

Failed to retrieve updated or changed rows from the table ReportSessionProgress. Last USN: 0
Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable. Possible reasons are heavy load, networking issue, server reboote, or hot backup. Please wait, and try again.

Error information
Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type bigint.
Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type bigint.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: 11a - Failed to retrieve updated or changed rows

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hello Taroking1,

Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.
Quickly checked - didn't find exactly the same issue with v11a upgrade, so Support should help.

Thanks!
Taroking1
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Post by Taroking1 »

Hi Natalia

This post was more of an FYI.

I am going to leave this one for an extra day to see if this is actually an issue I need to raise a ticket for.

At first glance, this is looking like a transient error message that doesn't actually need fixing. Looks like only affecting jobs that I had stopped so I could reboot the VBR server. The error appears only once and doesn't seem to affect the job when re-run.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Anyway, I'd suggest to open a support ticket and to ask our engineers to check debug logs and database dump, probably it would be possible to find out the root cause of this unexpected error. The main point is that the fact that the error appeared just once says that there is a minor issue at the level of configuration database and we don't know how it can impact other functionality of the product. From my point of view, it does not look like a "serious" symptom at all and you have nothing to worry about, however it's always better to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
justen.layne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Justen Layne

Post by justen.layne »

Was there ever a fix for this? I am seeing the same message.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Justen,

Unfortunately, cannot find the Support case for the previous posts. So kindly open the case and share its ID with us. It would help to monitor your issue and share the solution with the future posters.

Thanks!
lesterpenguinne
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lee Peterson

Post by lesterpenguinne » 1 person likes this post

The fix that worked for me was to shrink the Database
I used the MS SQL management studio database is in simple recovery mode so I didn't have to take it offline
Database started at just over 6gb and finished at 1.3

there is a way to do it from cmd line,

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t ... rver-ver16

Good luck