Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
slappeee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: brian koomen

12.1 upgrade install fails

Post by slappeee »

We are relatively new to Veeam (1.5 years) and I have to say I cringe when I see updates are available.
We are not a huge shop and I think are setup/config is basic in comparison to most Veeam customers. With our relatively simple setup/config and a ".1" upgrade, I was pretty confident the 12.0 to 12.1 should have been a smooth sailing. Unfortunately, the upgrade to 12.1 is not.

The issues running the 12.0 to 12.1 upgrade were (and are) many.
First thing running the installer showed Enterprise Manager needed to be upgraded before upgrading Backup and Replicate (backup and replicate option was "greyed" out).
However, in doing so, I received a message: "VmaGetPropertiesFromRegistry" box with a: "Uknown exception occurred"
Could not get past this message and created a case #: 07113505
After a lot of log files going back and forth and removing antivirus off the server, the case was escalated.
The "workaround" was to manually install the server and the console separately. This required registry hacks to get the server installed.
Unfortunately, the Console could not be installed and was left in a state of thinking it was on 12.1 but it was not (and would not open).
The Console upgrade solution was to have me run a Powershell command: "d:\backup\Shell.86.msi exec /i “shell.x64.msi” TRANSFORMS=”NoPowershell.mst” /L*v! c:\temp\consolesetuplog.txt" (MST file (which I did not open) was provided by support. This got the console installed correctly to 12.1.

Needless to say, the amount of jerry rigging to get the system to 12.1 does not make me comfortable.
Also troubling learning another customer had the same issue prior to mine.

Current issue now is upgrading the Enterprise Manager to 12.1(again...even after the 12.1 installer mentioned that Enterprise Manager needed to be updated first).
The 12.1 Enterprise Manager upgrade gets to a point where the 12.1 installer checks ports to see if they are available....Not sure why as Enterprise Manager 12.0 is running just fine. Does not seem right to have an installer not shut down Veeam services that are using the ports that the installer needs open.
Created another case#: 07145983 for this.

Sorry for the rant, but maybe this will help somebody else and who knows maybe Veeam will employ more QC people.......
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: 12.1 upgrade install fails

Post by Mildur »

Hello Brian

I'm sorry that you faced technical issues with upgrading our product to v12.1. Hopefully everything works now for the VBR.
For the Enterprise Manager case, I see that the investigation is still going on.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software