I recently installed Veeam 9.5 on server as we've finally been able to migrate to it over AppAssure.
It worked great for a month, then every couple weeks it would either lock up to the point it required a hard reset, or occasionally crash. It wasn't an issue on our test VM that we had run for several weeks. The lock ups started happening weekly, then finally nightly. I tried Windows Updates, updating the host, I tried 9.5 Update 1, and plenty of other options. After talking to support they thought it was related to the Windows install and the only option was to migrate to a new VM. I migrated over and sure enough, the problem starts up again. But one thing happened, it performed to the point where I could sort of interact with it, very slowly. I noticed in the running processes Windows Defender was using a ton of RAM.
After killing Defender and blocking it. Veeam is humming along perfectly again. I'd wager that was the same problem on the first VM.
Just wanted to put a heads up on forum in case others are moving that way. Veeam was actually our first production 2016 server and it wasn't an issue on our test VMs obviously as they weren't behaving the same way Veeam does. If you're migrating or setting up Veeam on Server 2016 be sure to double check Windows Defender is disabled!