Is there an official statement from Veeam regarding this combination of technologies? This is quite worrying. Since moving to Veeam from Backup Exec ~5 years ago, I've never felt so comfortable with our backups. However, we've just redone our backup environment, which includes using these combinations of technologies. We've had our backups running successfully for the previous 6 months and I suspect this is because we're not at the scale of some of the posters in this thread.
We have the following forever forward Backup Jobs(31 retention):
- Exchange in its own job (one server): VBK = 2TB, VIBs = ~70Gb
- Fileserver in its own job: VBK = 2TB, VIBS = 40Gb
- A single Job for all other servers that need a daily backup 12 servers. VBK = 1.4TB, VIBs = 150Gb - I could potentially split this job out and have our Domino servers in a separate job
We also have 2 backup copy jobs for each backup job above using the following settings:
- Backup Copy with 2 retention points and 12 Monthly retentions to a repository in the same data centre as the main jobs
- Backup Copy with 31 retention points and 12 Monthly retentions to a repository in a different data centre
- Backup Copy to Tape - Full VBKs every day
We haven't had any issues(yet) with the jobs in regards to fastClone and merges but I have noticed that the Veeam repository servers freezing when deleting source VBKs after we've moved jobs to different repositories. Also noticed when deleting vbks (when it doesn't hang) it takes quite a while for the volume to show the updated volume usage stats. e.g. If the volume has 5TB free and we delete a 1TB VBK it will take ~3 minutes for that extra free space to show in the volume stats.
I suspect we may get this error when it comes times for Veeam to delete the 1st monthly VBK from our GFS jobs. Based on our retention of 12 for the monthly, this won't happen for another 6 months.
I should copy and paste this post into a support case so I can get an official statement from Veeam.
Do I copy everything to tape***, rebuild the servers to server 2012R2 and use NTFS? It feels like I should. I don't like sitting on time bombs. I want that same confidence that I had only less than 1 hour ago (as I said, haven't had any issues, yet. But reading this thread makes me worry).
***In fact, is there a way to copy all vbks and all vibs to a tape using Veeam?