Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
robg
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Rob

A design issue with regard to the viewing of job progress

Post by robg »

Hello, I have noticed that when a job is running and you click the name of the processing VM, the messages in the "action" view window are different. I thought at first it's a case of "general" view vs. "more extended" , but the messages in both are actually quite different. So you end up having to click back and forth to highlight and unhighlight to see what's going on, and cannot just get it all at a glance.

For example "merging oldest incremental backup file" doesn't show up unless the VM name is un-highlighted.

This doesn't make much design sense, and it seemed to change as of version 8. Can there be some more consistency in the future? Maybe go back to that abbreviated vs. full view of highlighted vs. not.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: A design issue with regard to the viewing of job progres

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Rob,
When you highlight a VM, in the action plane shown actions related to the VM. While when you don`t click on any of VMs "Action" shows job`s actions.
Adding job-level actions to the VM`s actions can easily mess everything up.
Could you clarify why you need to go back and forth to job and vm actions? And what logs are you missing in both planes? Thanks!
robg
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Rob

Post by robg »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Rob,
When you highlight a VM, in the action plane shown actions related to the VM. While when you don`t click on any of VMs "Action" shows job`s actions.
Adding job-level actions to the VM`s actions can easily mess everything up.
Could you clarify why you need to go back and forth to job and vm actions? And what logs are you missing in both planes? Thanks!
So, it would appear that when the VM is un-highlighted there are messages related to the backup device, like for example that the location is running low on free space, or that it is in the process of merging. Because I only backup a single VM per job, this is strange to me, as I would like to be able to see all of the messages in a single place.
vmJoe
VeeaMVP
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Post by vmJoe » 2 people like this post

So, it would appear that when the VM is un-highlighted there are messages related to the backup device, like for example that the location is running low on free space, or that it is in the process of merging. Because I only backup a single VM per job, this is strange to me, as I would like to be able to see all of the messages in a single place.
Yes, for a single VM in a job this can feel like an excessive clicks, but for multiple VMware it makes it job activity easier to follow.

The nice thing about the single VM view is that you can see activity associateD with each VM backup like: snapshot creating and clearing time, VSS processing, IO throttling and bottlekneck stats to name a few.

For multiple VM jobs having this activity split out in a seperate section makes everything easier to follow.
Joe Gremillion
NA Core Solutions Architect - Central region
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the answer, Rob.
Indeed, when you have just one VM in job the concern makes sense, however, if you backup lots of VMs you will see that it is really convenient to split the logs.
Even if there are any warning/errors on the vm-level, you will see them in the job-level as well.
robg wrote:messages related to the backup device, like for example that the location is running low on free space
That can be monitored with Veeam One. There is a related alarm, notifying you when the repository is going out of space. And reports can make a prediction when they will reach predefined thresholds. Thanks!