Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wocomike
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

A few questions

Post by wocomike »

Hey All,

I'm a trial user... I have a few more questions.

1) On my "initial" backup, one of the machines didn't have an upgraded VMware Tools version, so the VSS didn't work properly. After a few "intermediate" backups, if I restore something from a restore point after the initial backup, will the files be ok?

2) SQL and Exchange - is there a way to get the software to apply the log files to either app, if we use this for our sole backup software?

3) My intermediate backup today is taking as long as yesterday's initial backup. I'm backing up over the LAN. Is there any way I can increase speed?

Thanks!

-Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: A few questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

1. Yes, if you were not doing backups of SQL servers, Domain Controllers and other transaction critical applications your VMs should be ok after the restore, however we do recommend to use VSS for all Windows VMs, that will keep your VMs in consistent state.

2. If I got your right, you can run a NTBackup job before the Veeam job to commit and clear up all the log's from SQL and Exchange servers.

3. Can you tell us what version of ESX hosts do you have? What backup mode is being used? What is the destination storage type? Also it'll be great to hear what speed figures do you see for your both runs?

Thank you.
antivir
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew

Post by antivir »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Mike,

1. Yes, if you were not doing backups of SQL servers, Domain Controllers and other transaction critical applications your VMs should be ok after the restore, however we do recommend to use VSS for all Windows VMs, that will keep your VMs in consistent state.
Does it mean to use VSS for all VMs including fileservers only?
Does Veeam VSS use Vmware tools VSS?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Andrew,

Yes, if your windows version as well as the application supports VSS, then enable Veeam VSS option is a preferred and recommended way to backup your VMs. Actually, Veeam implementaion and VMware Tools VSS differs, Veeam VSS is our code, however we use VMware Tools to determine VM ip address and type of OS. If you make some search on these two Veeam VSS and VMware Tools VSS you'll find many threads discussing both options.