Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

AAIP

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

On the AAIP setting, I choose "Truncate logs on successful backup only", does this occur when the job finish completely including the removal of the snapshot? Currently its at the removal of snapshot stage but my logs have not been truncated yet. Maybe its being truncated and waited for the job to be successful? Can somebody confirm.

3/27/2015 6:10:00 AM :: Truncating transaction logs

TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: AAIP

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Logs truncation happens on the finalizing stage that is triggered after VM snapshot commitment operation. Thanks!
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

We have backup our 2 Exhange 2010 servers (DAG) almost 2 years now without issues. In the beginning of this week, we noticed the removal of the snapshot on one of the machines took over 10-15 hours. On the VMware environment, we noticed an alert regarding a disk consolidation was needed. We opened a support case with Veeam and was told to call VMware.

VMware took a test snapshot and then tried to remove all the snapshot (Delete All). It took over 10 hours. :| It fixed disk 4 (earlier was grayed out, can't edit) but now has issue with disk 5. Anyways, I created a snapshot again per VMware request and this time, it went fast and fixed the disk (no longer got the message of disk consolidation.

We currently backup only one Exchange server (active) and the job ran successfully but the logs are not truncated at the Exchange side (Veeam logs VeeamsVssSuport showed the command was issued). Now Veeam support said it has to be failing at the DAG level. All the databases have been moved over to the single machine (active machine).

TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What's your support case ID for logs truncation issue? Also what was the reason for such long snapshot commit operation or it has been always like that?
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Hi Vitaly,

The original (00852454 )case was to inquire about the snapshot removal. The snapshot removal never took this long before. VMware told me the disk consolidation needed might have been caused due to API delay, file got too big.

Anyways, our Exchange Admin ran the NT backup and it took two tries to finally shrink the logs. The Exchange Admin thinks it might be with some databases moved that cause the logs not to replay between the DAG. I will run the Veeam backup on the active machine tonight and see how it goes (leaving the passive machine out for now since that machine had the disk consolidation, its been consolidated now). Will report back.

Thanks,
TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any monitoring tool to control VM snapshot size and age and be notified when it grows large?

Since you're backing up Exchange DAG, this topic can be a useful read too > Exchange 2010 DAG Backup
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

We used Veeam One Report but hasn't point to the new vCenter yet.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, our predefined report is also a nice way to be notified about snapshots.