Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Access to SAN

Post by frankive »

Is there any benefit to let the Veeamserver have direct access to the SAN or is it good enough to transfer the data through the hyper-v on host proxy?
I have a 2 server Hyper-v 2012 Failover Cluster with Storevirtual 4330 Cluster (separate SAN subnet).

Today setup is appx. 2TB with data which takes 2 1/2 hour each night.
I have the Veeam server located in an alternate datacenter iwth 1Gbps connection to the hyper-v host. The Veeam server is on the same network as the hyper-v host and does not have access directly to the SAN network. (I can off course change this if this is best practice).

Since I am running the backup nightly I think it is smart to benefit the horspowers of the hyper-v nodes and use them as a proxy.
Is there a benefit or necessary to give the Veeamserver itself a network card directly to the SAN network or it is fine to just run the backup through the on-host proxy and on the production network to the Veeam server?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Access to SAN

Post by foggy »

Frank, generally, Veeam B&R management server does not require direct access to the storage, as data processing is performed by the hosts themselves. However, having a dedicated offhost proxy is the recommended way to backup Hyper-V, unless you're absolutely fine using onhost mode (perfectly meet the backup window and the load put on hosts by the backup jobs is acceptable).