Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dbr
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Accessing virtual lab through static mapping

Post by dbr »

Hi folks,

I have some problems accessing a vm in a virtual lab (VBR10). I've configured a static mapping but the only way to get access to it is through a host whose ip address is not in a subnet configured in virtual lab network configuration. I have following configuration in place:

static mapping
- isolated ip: 10.27.105.151
- access ip: 10.27.65.24

virtual appliance
- ip: 10.27.65.23
- vNic 1: appliance ip: 10.27.105.1/255.255.255.0 / masqerade ip: 10.254.105.x

Once I try to access 10.27.65.24 from a host within 10.27.105.x production subnet I can't connect. It's only possible from another subnet. Is it correct that it isn't possible to access a vm inside a lab via static mapping from a production network that is also configured as an isolated network? I couldn't find anything related in the help.

Thanks, Daniel.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Accessing virtual lab through static mapping

Post by PetrM »

Hi Daniel,

Looks like you have no routing between 10.27.65.X and 10.27.105.X subnets. Although, it would be better to assign an access IP from the same subnet where the proxy appliance resides: 10.27.105.X. The same recommendation is provided on this page of our help center.

Thanks!
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Petr,

I don't know whether you get me wrong but there is a routing between 10.27.65.x and 10.27.105.x subnet. The access IP (10.27.65.24) is already an IP from the subnet (10.27.65.x) where proxy appliance (10.27.65.23) resides. I just wanted to ask if it should be possible in general to access a vm in a virtual lab through static mapping from a network that is also used in virtual lab isolated network settings. I will open a support case and come back here in case I have news on this or more questions.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure I understand what exactly do you mean when you say that you try to access a VM in virtual lab from a network that is also used in virtual lab? If you want to enable communication between 2 different isolated networks, then you should use the option "Route network traffic between vNICs" which is available in this step of virtual lab configuration.

Please don't forget to share the support case ID with us.

Thanks!
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Petr,

I'll try to clarify. Routing within lab works well. The problem is that I cannot access the vm in the lab (access ip: 10.27.65.24 / isolated ip: 10.27.105.151) through static mapping from a system in production that itself has the ip e.g. 10.27.105.190. I can only connect when the system from which I try to connect is running in a subnet that is not configured in isolated networks, e.g. from 10.27.2.x. My question is whether this should work in general or isn't possible at all.
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr » 1 person likes this post

Case # 04618594
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

It should be possible, perhaps it would make sense to monitor network traffic on all nodes (client - proxy appliance - VM in virtual lab) in order to find the problematic network stage. Let's wait for the reply from support team, I'm pretty sure that our engineers will figure our the root cause.

Thanks!
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr,

after investigation with support (they said it should work as well) in the end I found the problem. The network in the production network list of the static mapping must match the network of the isolated ip address and not the access ip. To me it is quite misleading. I couldn't even find a hint which network has to be selected at this point. If you agree, please consider to rename the label "Production Network" and/or extend the help center article for static mapping.

Thanks, Daniel.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your feedback! I will think about possible ways to address that point on our help center.

Thanks!