Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kitkat
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KK

Active Full backups

Post by Kitkat »

Hi Team,

I was under the impression that when you expand a disk on a VM or you move the VM to a new host (and add the new host to the existing job, same VM name) that Veeam would run a new active FULL on both scenarios.
I can’t speak for the new host scenario, however, for a disk expansion I see that it did not run a new FULL, it carried on with the existing backup chain.

Could someone tell me the circumstances when Veeam would run a new active FULL pls. I am sure I have seen a backup job run a new FULL from a disk expansion in the past…..
Thanks,
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Active Full backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the software is built for "incremental forever". If the MorefID (managed object reference ID) changes, then a full is needed because it looks like a new machine (or one does some database hacks to map the machine. It's documented in the forums, but unsupported)

I know that support sometimes asks for "create a new full backup" to create a new backup chain, but that's more a workaround than something really required (general speaking).
I am sure I have seen a backup job run a new FULL from a disk expansion in the past
do you maybe have a support case number with more details on that?

Best regards,
Hannes
ReggieNoble
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stefan Z

Re: Active Full backups

Post by ReggieNoble »

Hello,

if you change VM disk size, veeam will recognize this during next backup and do backup the entire virtual disk. It is not a complete ActiveFull of the VM but of the expanded disk.
In the Joblog in V12 you can see following message:
xx.xx.2023 xx:xx:xx :: Disk [s4-san1-xxx1-sas1] xxx.xxx.local/xxx.xxx.local_1.vmdk size changed, entire virtual disk must be read

I am not 100% sure, but i think in older veeam versions it does an ActiveFull of the complete VM after expanding a disk.

Best Regards.