Add a Backup Copy Job in the SureBackup job

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Add a Backup Copy Job in the SureBackup job

Veeam Logoby jking » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Using scripts to help schedule the jobs would work, but I would still prefer to be able to verify backup copy jobs. We'll find a solution regardless, but I would still appreciate that functionality if it could be added.
jking
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jared King

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:40 pm

I got your point, thanks for providing your use case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby SGalbincea » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:04 pm

This is an issue for us as well. Primary backup target is a DataDomain DD2500 via DDBoost - not something you want to run VMs off of, but great for backups. I would like to be able to create a backup copy job from the DD2500 to fast storage for VMs that I need for isolated lab and development testing. I understand that I could do things the other way around and target primary then copy to DD2500, but since backup copy runs sequentially (one VM at a time) and not in parallel this is not an option for us as we cannot meet our backup windows using this method (I tried). I see no reason that this could not be added for those who are in my situation and prefer to do it this way.
Senior Network Engineer, VCP5-DCV, VMSP, VMTSP, NIOP
Senior Network Engineer
BEMA Information Technologies
Houston, TX
SGalbincea
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Galbincea

[MERGED] Surebackup - Verify repository for backup copy job

Veeam Logoby frankive » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:49 pm

How do I accomplish to run a surebackup against the repository of a backup copy job? The problem is that I need a dummy job to select vms from in appliacation group, but if I try to map the repository it asks me if i want to replace the mapping from the existing backup copy job which I of course cannot do.
Is there any techincal issue which prevent us from adding vms from a backup copy job in the application group? Would be great to test the integrity of our seconday and GFS points too running surebackup.
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 85 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 pm

There are some workarounds for this scenario, though please do remember that it is recommended to verify restore points prior to sending them to the offsite location.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1072 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Testing integrity of cloud repository

Veeam Logoby guitarfish » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:08 pm

I run an Instant Restore on a weekly basis to test the integrity of my on-site backups. This option isn't available with Backup Copy jobs that I have stored in a cloud repository. How can these be tested for integrity?
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:27 pm

There's no need to perform recovery verification of copied backups, since backup copy job has built-in integrity check that ensures the copy is bit-identical to the source.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby frankive » Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 am

+1 for backup copy job as source for Surebackup.
We daily copy the last restore points to a SSD raid 10 (with samsung EVO 850) with backup copy job and we would REALLY be able to run the surebackup job from this drive.
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 85 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

[MERGED] Virtual Lab testing copy jobs?

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:54 am

HI there

Firstly sorry if this has been asked before, ive found something similar here post23984.html?hilit=virtual%20lab%20remote%20machines#p23984 but it don't really tell me much.

Heres my situation:

We have 2 x vCenters (Site A & Site B)
Site A is our main Site
Site B is mostly DR site but does house a coupe of live VMs

At Both Sites I have a dedicated Veeam Backup Server backing up the Site VMs
Each Veeam server then pushes a COPY job to the opposite site so that we have in a sense Off site backups of our "local" backups

We have set up a couple of virtual Labs at site A.

We want to use the labs for the following purpose(s):
* Testing the Backups (The Local Site A backups and the Copied Backups from Site B)
* Using sandboxes to perform certain tests such as exchange failover etc

So with that said currently our labs are set up with what we believe is the correct network mapping. We can run surebackup jobs to test the "local" servers but HOW do I test the copy jobs and get them into the lab? So that we can basically have our network within the sandbox for inter site testing?

I believe I need to possibly import the backups? but when I did this my sure backup still couldn't see them. What am I doing wrong? if anything?

Many thanks
TheMonk
Influencer

Full Name: Chris Armitage

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Chris,

Backup copy jobs cannot be used as a source for the SureBackup job. Please review this thread for further details and possible tricks to achieve that if you still need it.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Chris,

Backup copy jobs cannot be used as a source for the SureBackup job. Please review this thread for further details and possible tricks to achieve that if you still need it.

Thanks!

Yes hi there....

I cant see how I get the imported files into an application group?

I've created a repository and pointed to where the copied files are. It then shows as IMPORTED within Veeam. But when I go to create a Application group I cant select the imported files?
TheMonk
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Did you follow these instructions to achieve that? Did the rescan job finish successfully?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:23 pm

under Backups I can see Disk (Imported) and see the various Vms that I can restore. The moment I go to the Virtual Lab tho and try to create an Application group I don't have the imported files....just the local backup jobs that I would expect to see and none of the copied ones
TheMonk
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:38 pm 1 person likes this post

Chris, you will not see imported backups in app group wizard, that's why there's a PowerShell command to add backups in application group.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TheMonk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:16 am

foggy wrote:Chris, you will not see imported backups in app group wizard, that's why there's a PowerShell command to add backups in application group.

Yep you're right...I was having a bad. Ok so I can now add a server to a application group.

How to I add multiple servers though? and can I add to already existing application groups?
TheMonk
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication