Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
szwicker
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Seth Zwicker

Advice on offsite Backup?

Post by szwicker »

Up to this point, for a particular client I have been doing a "One Server, One Job" rotation. I see the error of my ways and I want to start grouping them.
What's the best way to do that? I was guessing it would be best to group servers with identical operating systems but I'm also wondering if I should be mindful of the size of the various VMs.
What if they reside on different local repositories?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Advice on offsite Backup?

Post by foggy »

Seth, you can group VMs using any factor that is reasonable in your case. It can be grouping critical VMs together to have similar SLA (lower RPO, for example), or VMs that should have similar retention. Veeam B&R performs dedupe between VMs in the job, so, right, the more VMs with similar OS (or even created from the same template) the job has, the higher space savings are. Here's also one of the existing topics regarding this.
szwicker
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Seth Zwicker

Post by szwicker »

What if the VMs (identical OS, possibly from the same template) reside on different repositories? How much of a penalty lies there?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There will be no deduplication among different repositories, since deduplication on target side is done within a restore point.

As to actual penalty, it's impossible to say without running tests.

Thanks.