Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
namiko78
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Advice on optimal setup please?

Post by namiko78 »

Hello

We are ordering a new backup server with fast 10gb NIC's, and i'm wondering if I should move the veeam database and catalogs to this server. Currently it's on a VM, with remote SQL database and during backups i can see the SQL spike to 100% sometimes. This new physical server will also be performing the repository and proxy role, as well as writing to a tape library and backup copy jobs offsite. Am i overloading it? It will have x2 8 core CPU's and 32gigs of RAM.

Should i leave the main backup console in a VM?

The catalogs are consuming 190GB of space (6 month retention) which will also eat up most of my 300gb physical disks, so maybe another option is to use the sharepoint search server on a remote VM.

Opinions please :)
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Advice on optimal setup please?

Post by edfops »

How much data do you expect to be pushing through that server daily? How many different tasks will be running concurrently at any given time?
namiko78
Expert

Post by namiko78 »

I expect the backups themselves to be around 100gb avg daily, then that would have to go offsite. I would limit the tasks to the amount of cores in the box for the proxy side (16) , and maybe 10-15 for the repository.
edfops
Enthusiast

Post by edfops »

namiko78 wrote:I expect the backups themselves to be around 100gb avg daily, then that would have to go offsite. I would limit the tasks to the amount of cores in the box for the proxy side (16) , and maybe 10-15 for the repository.
My take is, if you cannot guarantee there will always be some CPU and RAM resources overhead on the server, keep the Console on the separate VM. You would not want backups failing or slowness using the console because there is not enough resources for Veeam and/or SQL.

If you envision actually using all 16 tasks at some points, then I would expect there to be no overhead.
namiko78
Expert

Post by namiko78 »

A good point, I could limit the tasks to 1 less then the actual cores to reserve CPU for console and SQL. Does the catalog take much horsepower?
edfops
Enthusiast

Post by edfops »

namiko78 wrote:A good point, I could limit the tasks to 1 less then the actual cores to reserve CPU for console and SQL. Does the catalog take much horsepower?
Saving to index happens during the job, so it really ties in there. In my experience it doesn't add much to overall processing time.