Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Air gap - immutable vs insider

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All. Quick question. We have sever customers using Veeam enterprise with an on prem bdr running windows off the domain and it has been running well. We are backing up to a cloud vcp (iland). All has been well. However we would like to provide an air gap option or an option to recover in the event that the backups get ransomwared. We know insider protection is there with iland. But I was also looking at immutable backups to s3 storage as an option to provide some sort of virtual airgap. Is one option preferred over the other? I was considering Wasabi for that. Or should we just enable insider protection to get 7 days protected in insider protection? Just curious as to what others might recommend.

Thanks
Dave
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Air gap - immutable vs insider

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you mention Wasabi... the answer is easy, they don't support S3 Object Lock today according to this list

So Cloud Connect Insider Protection would be the answer in your case.

Best regards,
Hannes
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Post by dhayes16 »

Thanks. I see where Wasabi has immutable buckets but apparently this is different for Veeams use. I am just concerned about insider protection where a hacker could lower the retention thus making the insider protection folder useless. Obviously if a hacker has full access to the backup infrastructure then we have bigger issues.

I guess I am looking for best practice to protect from ransomware. I am not sure if the 7 days of insider protection with iland will be enough.

Thanks for the reply
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 52 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP » 2 people like this post

To prevent the scenario you're worried about, you have to use GFS retention on Cloud Connect: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100