Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tatesinstalls
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Alternative Option to using VMFS as Backup Repository

Post by tatesinstalls »

We have an external USB drive connected to one of our ESXi servers which is intended to be used as the Backup Repository. After going through the steps of getting vSphere to recognize it, I do not see how to add it as a backup repo. I also read that it is not recommended.

My question then is, what are my options? or, can I still use it as the repo even if it's not recommended? Our vCenter is virtual and not physical so plugging the USB drive into the vCenter directly is not an option. To further complicate things, this is in a data center where we are relying on someone else to move the drive if needed.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Alternative Option to using VMFS as Backup Repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the "not recommended" is to avoid a "chicken / egg" problem. To avoid that you need your virtualization platform available to restore virtual machines. Well, and you have two file systems (VMFS and REFS / NTFS) which could have issues. Theoretical there could also be a small performance impact, but in general, I don't see that as a "no go".

Yes, I remember that ESX does not like USB drives as datastores (there is a hack).

Passing a USB disk directly to a VM is no problem, so you could go that way.

I don't get your idea with plugging a disk into VCenter because you don't want to use the VCenter as repository :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
tatesinstalls
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by tatesinstalls »

I understand the possible problems we could have. Also, it's just a temporary, possibly one time backup of ALL our VMs we would need so maybe not worth the worry of performance. Just looking for "a" solution at this point. I would even backup to S3 but they won't allow that at this point.

So, if I've already attached this disk and formatted it as a vmfs datastore, is there anyway to back that out? Can I use a USB disk attached directly to a VM as a backup repository?

We are in a bit of a pickle since no one is on site but willing to do whatever is needed to get these.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

there are two ways:
1) create a virtual disk on the VMFS and attach that disk to the Veeam server
2) pass the USB disk directly into the VM (I posted a link above how to do that)