Anyone running Simplivity and Veeam?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Anyone running Simplivity and Veeam?

Veeam Logoby csinetops » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm

We're moving into the Hyper-converged space, just signed on two, two node Simplivity clusters.

Right now we use traditional architecture, servers connected to SAN over Fiber Channel. Veeam is all virtual, hot add VIA appliance mode. Works great.

Simplivity is a whole new animal to us being NFS only. It looks like I'll want to setup my Simplivity nodes management network on the 10GB NIC's and use NBD mode in Veeam to backup the VM's on NFS. Does that sound correct?

Anyone else running Simplivity and Veeam, I'd like to know your setup and how it's working out. I thought about using direct NFS but the Simplivity rep recommended against that as they wrote their own NFS stack, I guess it's not standard.

Thanks in advance!
csinetops
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: csinetops

Re: Anyone running Simplivity and Veeam?

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi,
yes, this is a correct statement. Simplivity do not support anything elese in their NFS backend. So you need to backup in NBD mode or use special HotAdd mode with Reg Key to avoid VM stuns at disk unmount (general NFS + hotadd problem).
More details: https://bp.veeam.expert/resource_planni ... _mode.html

In general a lot of customers use Veeam to backup Simplivity. Please check also:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-backups-with-simplivity-omnicube-t35810.html#p197542
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 387 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication