Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tcb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Boris Tsipenyuk

Apologies for another "configuration revamp" thread

Post by tcb »

happy new year all, I was doing some general cleanup of our veeam environment, I just wanted to pick the community’s brain on some various backup strategies thoughts/questions I had
Apologies as I know various points here are covered in detail to some degree, but some of the threads are rather old and was more curious about what people are currently doing related to backup / copy job settings and off-site to s3 or other providers.

While I am a long time veeam user I still get all the different backup / copy options mixed up in my head and ended up seldom using the backup copy options as a result. just sort of wanted to get input as to what people find works for them.

- storage wise I have a large amount of available DAS / iscsi san storage locally - no major throughput bottlenecks with local backups

- a 2nd site connected at gigabit

- I am wondering what the community has observed by tweaking the compression/inline dedupee settings - especially as it related to combining with backup copy after the fact. - perhaps settings where you turn down compression/dedupe and rely on other storage products to accomplish this - one of my goals is to reduce the backup windows specifically on the vmware side (aka get done with the snapshots as quickly as possible to reduce performance impact) - not a unique goal I’m sure - I don’t care if after veeam does it’s black magic transformation trickery -

- multiple / long term retention - doing a nightly backup to fast local storage with perhaps only 2 restore points and then doing a copy job with a large number of defined retention point - what are people’s experience with the (famous?) disable vbk rename - http://www.veeam.com/kb1076 - to make it more rsync friendly if possible, or is this not worth the trouble? this is where there a lot of ways for the proverbial cat to be skinned

- various amazon scenarios especially since the cloud connect feature is discontinued (and I have never used it) - perhaps experiences with creating an instance in amazon to use as copy job veeam repository ? perhaps using a s3 file system front end like s3backer or s3ql - so far s3ql has been very interesting, not sure how it holds up in the long term - I think using EBS or comparable is cost prohibitive - as is the pricing I have seen from veeam cloud providers - one of the other luxuries i have is a fair amount of bandwidth and good connectivity to amazon

- recent experiences (in veeam 8?) with the VTL feature in amazon storage gateway / glacier ?

- other providers / offsite scenarios ?

thanks everyone
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Apologies for another "configuration revamp" thread

Post by veremin »

I am wondering what the community has observed by tweaking the compression/inline dedupee settings - especially as it related to combining with backup copy after the fact. - perhaps settings where you turn down compression/dedupe and rely on other storage products to accomplish this
Take a look at this thread, as it provides extensive information regarding compression and deduplication settings in case of dedupe appliance specified as a target.
- multiple / long term retention - doing a nightly backup to fast local storage with perhaps only 2 restore points and then doing a copy job with a large number of defined retention point - what are people’s experience with the (famous?) disable vbk rename - http://www.veeam.com/kb1076 - to make it more rsync friendly if possible, or is this not worth the trouble? this is where there a lot of ways for the proverbial cat to be skinned
Rsync approach is a little bit outdated, and so is the :disable .vbk rename" regkey. Currently, most of our users are copying their backups to secondary location via backup copy jobs.
- various amazon scenarios especially since the cloud connect feature is discontinued (and I have never used it) - perhaps experiences with creating an instance in amazon to use as copy job veeam repository ? perhaps using a s3 file system front end like s3backer or s3ql - so far s3ql has been very interesting, not sure how it holds up in the long term - I think using EBS or comparable is cost prohibitive - as is the pricing I have seen from veeam cloud providers - one of the other luxuries i have is a fair amount of bandwidth and good connectivity to amazon

- recent experiences (in veeam 8?) with the VTL feature in amazon storage gateway / glacier ?

- other providers / offsite scenarios ?
Starting from version 8, we've been recommending using backup copy jobs pointed to Cloud Connect provider of your choice as a most efficient way to get your backup data offsite. Though, other options are also available (see the referenced thread).

Thanks.