Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Veeam-dsiles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Siles

Are you a large customer backing 300+ VMs?

Post by Veeam-dsiles »

All,

The community has been most helpful with my restore point question, one more here I hope the community can share some input.

If you are backing up greater than 300 VMs, can you share how many Veeam Backup servers you are using, how many VMs per server, and whether you are using our Enterprise Manager. How did you determine the number of Veeam Backup servers to start with if you can share.

Thanks,

David
David Siles
Director, Worldwide Technical Operations
Veeam Software
rgj
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: René Jørgensen

Re: Are you a large customer backing 300+ VMs?

Post by rgj »

We're currently backing up 417 VMs with rougly 20TB provisioned storage using 3 physical Veeam Backup servers running 25 jobs.

Server 1: 185 VMs, 4,7TB
Server 2: 218 VMs 14,9TB
Server 3: 13 VMs, 0,5TB

Number of servers are dictated by security levels.
We did our preliminary tests on the largest data amount, on slower hardware than the final servers. So we sized the servers bigger that the test server, and it worked just fine.

We're using Enterprise Manager for a nice summarized view of VMs being backed up, and status of jobs.

/René
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Rene, and others who post to this thread,

Can you provide your Veeam solution specs too? Looking for:

1. total number of VMs per Veeam server
2. no of jobs per Veeam server
3. No of restore points in job(s)
4. backup window achieved / time to complete all jobs
5. physical or virtual Veeam servers
6. Veeam job mode(s): san, virtual appliance, network
7. Veeam server(s) CPU (sockets and cores), RAM of each
8. Veeam backup target info - FC, iSCSI, RDM, CIFS, DAS, local drive, wan target, etc.
9. Other Veeam server hardware - no and specs of HBAs, no and specs of NICs, wan optimization, etc
10. anything else (hardware, software, whatever) in your datacenter critical to your backup performance.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

Nice VM counts guys. I'm only on ~77 VM's that I backup.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

bump
eriktxstate
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Erik Redding

Post by eriktxstate »

we're running a single veeam server, Dell R710, 24Gb ram, pair of 8gb San connections, pulling backups via SAN to a pair of local SAS md1200 trays. Doing roughly 375 virtual machines each night, and we've got around 30Tb of data raw. Keeping on average, 40 restore points doing reverse incrementals - doing a full periodically would be nice but we need more disks underneath the thing. We've got 17 jobs - broken down between RHEL64bit, RHEL32bit, some special jobs, win2k3x64 and 32bit jobs, win2k8x64 and 32bit jobs, solaris job. The biggest job is 5tb, 96VM's, and takes around 12 hours.

I'm trying to utilize veeam reporter to do tuning for our backups, but the sheer quantity of information it pulls in (a vm with a remote mssql backend on our mssql cluster), it takes foooreeever to get decent data. The daily summary report has been helpful. We've got enterprise manager installed, but haven't found much use for it since we've got a single system.

I'd be happy to share any other details if you're interested.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Erik, although I did not create this topic, this is a very interesting data for me nevertheless! Thanks a lot for taking time for posting this, great stuff. The only thing I am interested to know is approximate volume of daily changes in your environment. What is the average sum of all VRB files produced? Just want to get an idea how this relates to total data size. I can take a guess and say 2%, am I close?

Not to derail this topic, please PM me more details on what what you like to see in that daily summary report on top of what we have today... or may be you did not notice that Enterprise Manager already provides one? Look through its configuration settings.

On a side note, I can promise you that with v6, you will be using your Enteprise Manager on daily basis even if you still only have one backup server at the time when v6 is released ;) some cool new functionality is coming to it! But that's as much as I can tell for now :D
eriktxstate
Influencer
Full Name: Erik Redding

Post by eriktxstate »

our RHEL64bit job is 1.78Tb and a daily incremental is 21Gb. It's not a bad tradeoff.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Aha, so I was pretty close ;)
Soap
Influencer
Full Name: Brian

Post by Soap »

I am currently backing up about 900 VM's and have 5 B&R servers running as VM's. I have about 6 jobs per server currently. About 70TB worth of data to backup. I am still trying to find the optimal setup for our evironment. I just stumbled on some posts about network backup being faster than the virtual appliance mode backup we are currently running. Thinking about building a physical windows box and just chaining all of my jobs together on that one box instead of trying to manage multiple servers. Not sure how that will work though.. Physical box that I would use it a BEAST, but you can only move data so fast...