Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JohnLuke
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gianluca Crivelli

Automatically delete backups that fail cause not enough spac

Post by JohnLuke »

Hi all,
I don't know if this feature is already live or have I to request it.
is it possible for Veeam to automatically delete failed backups cause not enough space on destination?
Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Automatically delete backups that fail cause not enough

Post by foggy »

Actually failed (incomplete) restore points are not stored, but repaired during the next job run and the data that was not completely transferred is copied.
JohnLuke
Novice

Post by JohnLuke »

Hi,
well the problem is that the next job scheduled run will fail again cause not enough space in destination, the failed backup still in and waste hd space.
Any suggestion?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Are you able to remove some older backups to release space? What backup mode do you currently use and what are you retention settings (what files do you currently have on disk?)?
JohnLuke
Novice

Post by JohnLuke »

Hi,
of course I can perform a manual correction, but usually I move some backups to release space, re run the job to correct all and then move back the files.
I never tried in this case to remove older backup file, I use incremental during the working days and full in week end, the retention is 15 days.
What do you mean exacly "with what files do you currently have on disk?", I just have Veeam Backup Files of all jobs I have if I well understand what you mean
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I asked about files to get an idea whether you could safely remove some older files. With your retention, you can temporarily offload the oldest full with corresponding increments to some other location and re-run the job.

That said, if this situation quite common for you, I'd suggest to extend the storage to avoid it in future. You can also use built-in space notifications to track free space on the repository and also Capacity Planning for Backup Repositories report in Veeam ONE that allows to monitor current space consumption and estimate the date when you run out of free space on repository.