Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Avoid use of proxy (except for one backup job)

Post by mongie »

I have various proxies at my two data centres which are connected via 1Gb link. All jobs are run from one management server. I've configured proxy affinity so that the repositories at each DC use the Proxies local to them, which generally works fine.

I'm now trying to configure a job on the same management server to backup two VMs at a satellite site. The backups are to be stored at one of my DC's in the same repository as the rest of my backups. Wan Bandwidth between the Satellite site and the two DCs is less than 10Mb, so I've built a proxy at the Satellite site to allow me to use Veeam compression across the wire. I was conscious that the remote proxy might get used by other jobs at the two DC's so I set the "connected data stores" to just the data store at the Satellite site. I also had to add that proxy to the affinity rule for the data store which I realised might cause problems.

I've come in this morning and found that a job at my DC is using the remote proxy, and data is obviously being transferred very slowly. The remote proxy was set to Virtual Appliance mode, and this backup was running in NBD (to get around the data store limitation I guess?)

I've already specified for the remote site job to use the remote site proxy, but I didn't really want to have to configure all of my other jobs to use "all the other" proxies. Problem is, I cant really think of another way to do this. Any suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Avoid use of proxy (except for one backup job)

Post by foggy »

Hi Alex, disable failover to network mode for this remote proxy.