Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skoch
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

B&R design options with NetApp and tape out

Post by skoch »

I'm attempting to steer my company towards using Veeam for all of our backups instead of only some of them and am trying to figure out the best architecture for my environment. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Our requirements

Servers are backed up to disk every day and that backups to disk are kept for a total of 30 days.
Servers are backed up to tape (incremental or differential) every weekday.
Servers are backed up to tape (full) every Friday.

Our environment

We have approximately 40TB of data that will be backed up with about a 1% daily change rate.
We will be backing the data up to NetApp filers and then sending it to tape using NDMP jobs.
On the NetApp filers we have the ability to perform snapvaults.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: B&R design options with NetApp and tape out

Post by foggy »

You could start from daily forward incremental job with Friday synthetic fulls and 30 restore points retention and chain tape offload job to it to copy the last created file to tape every day.
skoch
Influencer

Post by skoch »

Thanks foggy. How would I get it so that it kept the 30 days worth of retention if I do Friday synthetic fulls. Would I need to create reverse incrementals?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, with forward incremental, you will have a backup chain containing fulls created on each Friday and incrementals in between. I recommend reviewing the corresponding user guide section (p. 27) for better understanding of the backup methods.
skoch
Influencer

Post by skoch » 1 person likes this post

I'm checking out the guide now. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that we've been using the product for almost two years now and I never even knew there was a user's guide. Although I think that speaks more to the ease of using B&R as most everything is self explanatory.