Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Paul

Re: Backing up Always On MSSQL with Veeam

Post by stewsie » Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Should anyone be interested here are some results following the backup and restore testing of SQL Availability Groups

1. Following a restore of a database then obviously an image level backup needs to be taken for the transaction log backup to work
2. Restoring a full VM has worked with no issues apart from the restored VM not being available in Enterprise Manager for around 24 hours. I have a support job open for this. If I rebuild the roles the job fails. The first time I restored a VM (16th) the issue resolved itself after around 24 hours so maybe there is some sort of job that updated this
3. Following the restore the VM needs to be removed from the backup job and added again as it is essentially a new object
4. Run the image level backup job again to add the restored node back to the transaction log backup.

I appreciate this will be teaching most of you to suck eggs but I found it useful hence sharing it.

I still haven't tried the registry key mentioned above as we are still discussing this internally. If we disable the copy only backup on the second node and then this becomes the primary we could end up in a situation where we do not have a backup of the SQL database.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1512 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up Always On MSSQL with Veeam

Post by foggy » Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm 1 person likes this post

This is a fair reason for adding both nodes to the job.