Backing up large file shares

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backing up large file shares

Veeam Logoby BarryH » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:58 pm

We have a file server that has about 10 TB of data on one drive. I have removed that drive from the Veeam backup and I am backing up the data with a different system. I was under the impression that it was not a good idea to snapshot that large of a disk, but it would be nice to use Veeam for all of my backups. What is the best practice for backing up that much file data?
Thanks
BarryH
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Barry Hohstadt

Re: Backing up large file shares

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:16 pm

I don't have anything that big but I don't see why it would be a problem. The major concern I would expect is filling up the LUN it's hosted on if the change rate is high, but given it's a file server that's probably fairly unlikely. If the change rate is fairly low the snapshots shouldn't be around that long, the hardest part will be the initial full backup and the time it takes to do that

I assume you can't break it down into smaller drives by splitting the data up?
DaveWatkins
Expert

Liked: 61 times

Veeam Logoby csinetops » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:18 pm

I have a couple large file servers with multiple large disks around 4TB each. While they aren't 10TB like yours , Veeam doesn't seem to mind bigger disks. One thing to keep in mind is recovery speed, the bigger the disk(s) the longer it's going to take to recover.
csinetops
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: csinetops

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:05 pm

VM of that size shouldn't be a problem provided you're meeting the backup window. Please see another thread regarding similar matter.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby nunciate » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 pm

I have several file servers that I backup using reverse incremental with Veeam. One of the servers has 5x 2Tb drives so a total of 10Tb usable. Windows 2012 Dedup is turned on for all these file servers so on this big one I am maybe using 5Tb of that space. The other servers are pretty large as well. I backup with no issues. If you are using Windows 2012 servers for your repositories are are using 2012 dedup on those repositories it is a good idea to exclude the folder that contains your vbk file as it can get corrupted when deduping a file that large.
nunciate
Expert

Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Veeam Logoby BarryH » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone, great information. Hopefully I can archive off some of that data before using Veeam. I'll be happy to have all of my backups under one roof!
BarryH
Novice

Full Name: Barry Hohstadt

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Barry,

we have multiple 10TB+ Fileservers (even with Windows Dedupe enabled so actual data is about 3-5x that much). Due tue Dedupe changerate is quite high but still we have no issues at all backing them up with veeam since i can remember.
Restoring the VM in an emergency is certainly not the easiest (quickest), but that is what replica's are for :) If your underlying Storage / Repository is performant there should be no issues, but since it seems like you are doing some kind of agent backup and that's working Veeam should be your littlest problem. Have all components up to date always makes a big difference. ReFS and upcoming vmfs-6 when veeam support is released should be a great combination :)
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 94 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Veeam Logoby smd32 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 pm

I haven't had >5TB for a VMDK backup, but these have been working reliably for a couple of years now up to that size. Lots of 1TB Exchange volumes that even on a busy server, can get backed up successfully.

What I could not get to work with a 15TB volume (about 10TB of data) was VEB. It would BSOD the server running VEB before getting to half completed. This is an iSCSI disk on a 2012 cluster for file shares, not VMDK. We went back to using the original product from a different vendor to back things up, but I'm hoping the upcoming Veeam Agent for Windows will be able to handle this.
smd32
Service Provider

Full Name: Scott Drassinower

Veeam Logoby ejfarrar » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:20 am 1 person likes this post

I have MANY VMs with over 10TB drives - most of my NFS servers use 8TB volumes, but I have one which uses 41x 16TB vmdk's

All of my VMs back up daily. Granted, the larger VMs (60+TB) take about 1 day to do full backups using storage integration - if using NBD and I get good speeds for the throughput, it usually takes about 2-3 days. Daily incremental backups using CBT take about 10-30 minutes for these big ones. The only potential failure point I encounter with any frequency (one big VM every few months) is with vmdk consolidation issues (similar to VMware's phantom snapshot issue).

Enjoy!
ejfarrar
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Eric J. Farrar

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:17 am

Scott,

Did you logged a support case for that problem with VEB? We have customers that use VEB to backup those data sizes without any issues...

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby FSSC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:36 pm

After seeing the sizes of some of the backups here, i'm now convinced something isn't right in our set-up. Our larger backup jobs are 1tb and 2tb or so. On avg, it takes 9 and 12 hours respectively for each incremental job to complete. I see that roughly half the data for each job is being read with actual data transfer amounts of 2.3gb and 12gb being made (not much considering)... I'm going to have my admin open a ticket, but what if anything can i have him check first?

Thanks
FSSC
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:02 pm

Bottleneck stats.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:30 am

FSSC,

It might be a bit more difficult to get information from VEB compared to what VBR is giving :-)

Let your admin check this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... urces.html and see if the throttle is active (might be a busy system and therefore the backup goes to the background)

But because most information can be found in the logs, it is advised to create a support case (through the VEB UI) so they can deep-dive into it. Please post your Case ID here and the results of the investigation. (But don't forget: Support call is FREE, but comes with no SLA, on a best effort basis)

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby FSSC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 am

foggy wrote:Bottleneck stats.

Load: Source 98% > Proxy 54% > Network 1% > Target 0%
Duration: 12:49:21 - Processing Rate: 28 MB/s - Processed 1.8 TB / Read: 1 TB /Transferred: 5.8 GB
FSSC
Novice

Veeam Logoby FSSC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:08 am

Mike Resseler wrote:It might be a bit more difficult to get information from VEB compared to what VBR is giving :-)

Hi Mike and thanks for the reply. I should clarify that my question relates to VBR not VEB. I have no issues at all with VEB and wish we'd see the same BU performance from VBR that we do from VEB. I guess i'll have my team get a case open.

Thanks again
FSSC
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication