Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PublicWiFi
Lurker
Liked: never

Backing up to a network share over VPN. Best practice?

Post by PublicWiFi »

I keep going back and forth on what the best practice for this scenario is, so I figured I'd ask for help!

So I currently have all of my prod stuff being backed up onsite. 1 month worth of data is roughly 8TB, that is including a full backup once a week as well.
I'm looking to also set up a backup from my main site to a remote site which is connected via a dedicated VPN tunnel.
My incrementals are all just shy of 30GB per day, this is totally reasonable with my current WAN up-links.

I'll be using a Synology NAS, which will be tunneled via its built-in client or using PFSense if that doesn't want to work.

Should I do a second true backup job and just make it Forever Forward Incremental? I can seed the first job onsite before moving it over.
Are synthetic fulls out of the question do to the WAN demand? Or is it possible to mount the NAS as a Linux repo instead?

Any ideas? Am I on the right track with Forever Forwards?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up to a network share over VPN. Best practice?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I recommend using the backup copy job (with WAN accelerators if you have Ent+ edition). You must have have a gateway machine on the destination site. Otherwise merges will go over WAN...

Best regards,
Hannes