Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
WORKS2019
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: RJ Cowan

Backing up XP

Post by WORKS2019 »

Are there any issues backing up and old WIN XP computer. Does Veeam support XP?

I've come across a business running XP (computer is not connected to the internet) they're only running one computer on XP because of an old accounting database used in the industry. They've been in business for 30+ years and this database is critical. They are hoping to phase it out but haven't for reasons unexplained to me. I've been asked to migrate the database to a new environment and before doing so I would like a full and complete backup of the machine. Preferably not just the data but an image so in the event the outdated software does not work on WIN10 or a server I can boot to a VM using the XP image.
WORKS2019
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: RJ Cowan

Re: Backing up XP

Post by WORKS2019 »

I answered my own question after searching in the documentation I found this. However, I often test many scenarios in my lab and plan on testing XP. Is there anyone that has tried backing up XP? I understand VEEAM does not support it but this is not what I'm asking. Does anyone have any experience backing up XP using VEEAM?

Veeam Agent Computer (Microsoft Windows)

Hardware
- CPU: x86-64 processor.
- Memory: 2 GB RAM.
- Disk Space: 150 MB for product installation.
- Network: 1 Mbps or faster1.
- System firmware: BIOS or UEFI.
- Drive encryption: Microsoft BitLocker (optional)2.

OS
Both 64-bit and 32-bit (where applicable) versions of the following operating systems are supported1,2:

Microsoft Windows Server 2019
Microsoft Windows Server 2016
Microsoft Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel (including version 1903)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Microsoft Windows Server 2012
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP13
Microsoft Windows 10 (including version 1903)4
Microsoft Windows 8.x
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Out of curiosity, what do you have running on this XP machine that is so urgent to be backed up? Does it have a VSS writer? Does it have some powershell or CMD method to freeze the database? If so, as best I know, you can protect this machine. The Supported list afaik is just whatever Veeam can restore natively inside the program, but at its core, application aware processing is just a VSS shadow copy, so it all should be good.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi everyone,

VAW does not support Windows XP.

You may convert this machine to a VM and back it up using Veeam Backup & Replication. Pre-freeze and Post-thaw scripts may be needed in this scenario, depending on whether the app running on top of the server you are willing to protect is supported by Microsoft VSS/VMware Quiescence or not.

Also, I should mention that most of the apps designed to run on XP can be migrated to Windows 7/8/10 - thanks to the compatibility mode. Ofc, it should be tested, but I'd prefer this way since Windows XP is completely insecure from a cybersecurity standpoint.

Thanks