Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Backup after planned failover?

Post by csinetops »

I have been migrating a datacenter between our old and new buildings using the planned failover feature of Veeam, it works awesome. After I permanently failover the machines, is there a way to copy the old backups to the new Veeam repository at my new datacenter and relink the VM's to their original job? I haven't found a way yet as the machines technically have a different name at the new location. I have just been running a new full backup job after I move them. It works fine in most cases, but I have a few pretty large VM's (2TB+) that I would rather not do this if I don't have to.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup after planned failover?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi csinetops,

You can maunally map the existing backup file to the newly created backup jobs by going to the Backup Job wizard > Storage step and clicking the Map Backup link. Some additional option are described in this KB article How to Move Veeam Backup & Replication Backup Files. Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup after planned failover?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
csinetops wrote:After I permanently failover the machines, is there a way to copy the old backups to the new Veeam repository at my new datacenter and relink the VM's to their original job?
Yes, Dima is correct about mapping option, but you will need to copy these files manually.
csinetops wrote:I haven't found a way yet as the machines technically have a different name at the new location. I have just been running a new full backup job after I move them. It works fine in most cases, but I have a few pretty large VM's (2TB+) that I would rather not do this if I don't have to.
That's correct, since VM ID has changed, a full backup will be triggered for these VMs.

Thank you!