Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Backup Copy actual source

Post by Zew »

OK, I know Veeam is super flexible, and with this flexibility comes the ability to mess things up. Which can be a nice learning experience.

Soooo... my question that's I've noticed is sort of two fold, let me explain.

1) I had a regular Backup jobs where I had all VM's inside the job ( I believe I was testing this once veeam introduced per vm backup files). Anyway, I couldn't see those individual files in the back repo (file explorer view). I also didn't like this as my ability to granule control the jobs settings and scheduling becomes all tied into the one job. So at some point I created another job with the VM's split out, but left the old job running. On the old Job there was AAP which I needed for some of the VM's within the Job, and somehow in my ignorance I didn't apply that on the job I created with it split out.

2) The Backup Copy Job, I decided to check something for recovery when I noticed this discrepancy within my configuration, whoops. However that when I later noticed I had the require APP on the older job, now the BCJ Objects are as follows: Type VM, Source: Any Available Backup Repo.

3) When I check the Disk (Copy) area I find when I right click the object there is a recover application level items (as if it is picking up on the old job source), but how can I actually verify this?

Follow up questions, if I simply enable AAP on the newly created Backup Jobs with the same account. It should all just work and I can stop (unscheduled) the old job given it works. This of course might affect the backup chains that exist at the BCJ chains?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy actual source

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Basically, if it allows for application items restore, then it is an AAIP-enabled backup. In case you're selecting the VMs from backups, backup copy should use the latest available backup as a source, so it is a matter of scheduling. (Isn't the source repository logged somewhere in the backup copy job session, btw?) Anyway, you can enable the AAIP in the new job, disable the old one and backup copy continue using the newly created backups as a source normally.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Re: Backup Copy actual source

Post by Zew »

"Basically, if it allows for application items restore, then it is an AAIP-enabled backup."
Right which I assumed based on that ability, I just wanted some logs as you mentioned for verification of the assumption.

"In case you're selecting the VMs from backups, backup copy should use the latest available backup as a source, so it is a matter of scheduling."
I had sort of assumed this, didn't double check each job schedule to see who's was most recent, I really should have.

"(Isn't the source repository logged somewhere in the backup copy job session, btw?)"
If you're talking about the line items noted for each VM within the BCJ as it last run, Nope I can't see it. Best I can see is the following line 'Copying Restore point 17/01/2021 timestamp from backup repository (backup repo)' which I suppose maps back to what you mentioned above, but I find it annoying to have to manual look ups a computer should be able to do for me (Why don't you tell me the name of the source job instead of just the timestamp?). Sorry mini rant probably due to ignorance, ignore :P

"Anyway, you can enable the AAIP in the new job, disable the old one and backup copy continue using the newly created backups as a source normally."
That's good to know.

Thanks for clarifying all this Foggy, great as always.

Edit: Double checking the source timestamp, against the jobs timestamp did reveal which the source was, and it was the one with AAP enabled. Thanks. (Although the name of the backup job would be a nice bonus to avoid having to do manual verifications.) :)