Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Backup copy failures - timeout connecting to port 2500+

Post by mschlott »

Case # 01794109

I recently began getting backup copy job failures similar to the one below. It occurs with different VMs and both of the sources for my copy jobs.

Code: Select all

5/10/2016 12:04:42 AM :: Processing MYVM Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.31.1.53:2510 
Support said the following.
We generally recommend disabling the Windows firewall on the Veeam server, you could make an exception in group policy for that server to disable it for a test. Based on that list, it doesn't appear that a firewall exception has been made for Veeamagent.exe on ports 2500-5000.

There actually is a firewall rule for this created by Veeam so the firewall is not blocking anything that I can tell. We do not use a WAN accelerator.

Is there anything I can look at to find out what is going on?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copy failures - timeout connecting to port 2500+

Post by foggy »

Mike, you need to explain your support engineer that firewall is not blocking the connection and let him/her investigate the issue further.
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Re: Backup copy failures - timeout connecting to port 2500+

Post by mschlott »

This turned out to be caused by network congestion due to all 4 of my backup copy jobs having the same start time. I have spread the jobs out so I'm crossing my fingers that it goes away.