Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Saskatoon Kevin
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Simpson

Backup Copy from rotated disk repository and preseed

Post by Saskatoon Kevin »

I've read over the documentation for the backup copy and rotated disk repositories, but I'm not clear on if I can do what I need to do.
I have a remote site that has a slow link between my corporate backup environment. I'd like to configure Veeam to back their server up to a local repository backed by rotated disks, and then pre-seed that data into a backup copy repository. Then configure their jobs to run to their local attached USB devices and backup copy from them to our central location. I don't believe the link speed will have enough of an affect for a regular non-full backup (low use server changes).

My take away is that I can setup backup-copy on a backup that would otherwise use rotated disks (but cannot set a backup-copy using a repository with rotated disks), but it's not clear if I can pre-seed this data using an actual backup. An alternative that may work is to setup another local target repository for a backup-copy and then use that to pre-seed the new destination for backup-copy.
Does anybody know if that's something that I can actually do?

Second question:
It appears that rotated disks are using a continence of the backup chain. On first use for the backup repository it would create a new full. How would this affect a backup copy? Would it try to move the full or would it skip the copy since the full chain already exists?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Copy from rotated disk repository and preseed

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kevin,
I'd like to configure Veeam to back their server up to a local repository backed by rotated disks, and then pre-seed that data into a backup copy repository.
Please keep in mind that it's not possible to map backup files made with primary jobs to backup copy jobs (and visa-versa).
Then configure their jobs to run to their local attached USB devices and backup copy from them to our central location. I don't believe the link speed will have enough of an affect for a regular non-full backup (low use server changes).
For backup copy to backup copy that should work.
My take away is that I can setup backup-copy on a backup that would otherwise use rotated disks (but cannot set a backup-copy using a repository with rotated disks), but it's not clear if I can pre-seed this data using an actual backup. An alternative that may work is to setup another local target repository for a backup-copy and then use that to pre-seed the new destination for backup-copy.
1. Create a local repository with rotated drive option enabled
2. Give a spin for backup copy job to create a full backup for the needed vms to this repository.
3. Disable the backup copy job.
4. Move the drive to your central location and copy backup files from the drive to your main repo.
5. Rescan the repository to detect those backup files. You should see these backups under Disk (Imported) node under Home.
6. Edit backup copy job: change the repository to the desired one and then map the backup files.
7. Enable backup copy job, it will continue the backup chain with incremental job run.
It appears that rotated disks are using a continence of the backup chain. On first use for the backup repository it would create a new full.
Correct, every backup chain on each rotated drive is independent from each other (you can restore data from one drive without having access to the previously used drive)
How would this affect a backup copy?
If you are rotating the drives periodically, full backup will be created on every drive as a first backup in the backup chain. Works the same for all backup jobs.
Saskatoon Kevin
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Simpson

Post by Saskatoon Kevin »

Thanks Dima,
Yeah I wasn't sure if you could seed from a backup to a backup-copy, but I figured worst case I could backup -> backup-copy local and then use that to pre-seed.
Just a quick question to clarify then that each of the disks attached create their own unique chains, and that the software at this spot is simply maintaining the information so it knows when to prune old restore points (x days / points across all drives rather than per drive)?
If that's the case then it sounds like this idea won't work for me and I would instead need to either use non-rotating disks or simply do a regular backup seed and use a simple backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Kevin,

The retention is calculated for all backup chains at all rotated drives and if you plan to swap drives make sure that the retention value covers all drives. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Saskatoon Kevin wrote: Mar 22, 2022 10:27 pm Yeah I wasn't sure if you could seed from a backup to a backup-copy, but I figured worst case I could backup -> backup-copy local and then use that to pre-seed.
Well, you could seed a backup copy using a backup produced by a regular backup job provided the backup copy is periodic mode and the backup job uses forever forward or forward incremental.