Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Backup copy job disk usage

Post by blodsbror »

Hi, (Case # 00737625)

I'm implementing backup copy jobs, and just want to be sure I understand how required disk space is calculated correctly (I've ready the help articles, but didn't quite get it). I'm using the new forward incremental backup type in V8 for all my jobs. I have created GFS retention that should give me 11 backup copy job retention points over a year (weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly).

If a day to day backup job creates 10TB of full backup data and 700GB of incremental (7 retention points for the week) = 14.2 TB of data for the week. Over the year, will backup copy jobs require 14.2 x 11 = 1562 TB of storage space ? Or is each weekly, monthly etc retention points reusing data in a smart way to reduce the needed storage space ? Such as every retention point just referencing the very first full backup copied ?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup copy job disk usage

Post by veremin »

GFS restore points are stored as full backup. And I'd would call the way of storing GFS backups as increments "smart", as it creates undesired dependency between them. Thanks.