Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fisi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Niko

Backup Copy Job - Last Result "Failed"

Post by fisi »

Hello all,
we are using Backup Copy Jobs (BCJ) on our Veeam 8 backup servers.
To monitor the success of our backup jobs, we use the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager notifications to send us a daily "job summary".

We have one BCJ that is reported every day with the result "error". It has crashed once some weeks ago due to a server fault, but now it's running fine again. As the BCJ is a continuous job I suppose that the last result will not change from "error" to "success" itself.
Is there any way to reset the last result content for the BCJ? Error messages every day are bad as you loose the attention on that point if there is a "false positive" every day.

Thanks in advance
Niko (fisi)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Job - Last Result "Failed"

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Niko,
It looks like here is some contradiction in you question:
fisi wrote:BCJ is reported every day with the result "error".
It has crashed once some weeks ago due to a server fault, but now it's running fine again.
... Is there any way to reset the last result content for the BCJ? Error messages every day are bad ..
Could you clarify it? Are your daily jobs finish with "success" or "error"? You can check it by clicking on the job > Report. And you will see the report info about all job sessions.
What kind of error did you get previously?

In general, VBR automatically retries a failed backup copy task 5 times(by default) within one backup copy job session. A new task is started immediately after the previous one, without any interval. The backup copy task is retried only if the previous task has failed and a restore point hasn`t been copied to the target repository. VBR doesn`t perform a retry if a task has finished with the Success status.
The backup copy task is retried during the same synchronization interval only. If a restore point fails to be copied during all retries in the current synchronization interval, VBR waits for the expiration of the synchronization interval, performs the necessary transform operations and starts a new synchronization interval.

Also, Backup Copy job has built-in integrity check that ensure the copy is bit-identical. Thanks.
fisi
Novice

Post by fisi »

Hi again,
when I look into the reports view, I see that the current status of the Backup Copy Job is "running". The last result is "error".
The error description is "waiting for the next task failed".
As the notification mail contains the last result for the jobs, we get the Backup Copy Job reported as error every day. The other backup jobs look fine.

My understanding was, that a Backup Copy Job runs all the time or switches to idle, but that it doesn't stop. May be I am wrong with that. But if it is so, than the last result will never change to success and the last result will remain on "error".
Maybe the error message above gives you the right hint for the "error" status and the necessary solution.

Hope that brings some clarification.

Kind regards,
Niko
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the clarification.
fisi wrote:My understanding was, that a Backup Copy Job runs all the time or switches to idle, but that it doesn't stop. May be I am wrong with that. But if it is so, than the last result will never change to success and the last result will remain on "error".
You are right, BCJ runs continuously and has 4 phases: Idle state, Synchronization process, Transform operations, Post-job activities.
But, the last result can be changed to success, if one of retries copies all new restore points as expected.

For the error investigation, please contact technical support and provide us your support case number. Thanks!
fisi
Novice

Post by fisi »

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I was a bit confused als BEM shows a last result for the job while the Veeam Console doesn't. Your explanation sounds good an understandable for me.
I checked the results of the last BCJ runs and saw a lot of VMs that weren't processed successfully (not caused by Veeam - there are too many VMs to complete the inital copies in the time window).

We will discuss our BCJ design with Veeam in the next weeks.

Thanks you for your help about this.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I checked the results of the last BCJ runs and saw a lot of VMs that weren't processed successfully (not caused by Veeam - there are too many VMs to complete the inital copies in the time window).
You can either increase synchronization interval or distribute VMs through multiple backup copy jobs with different copying schedules. Anyway, as stated above, if backup copy job hasn't completed copying previous restore point, during subsequent run it will copy not only new changes, but also the data it has been able to copy before. Thanks.