Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisJ83
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Johnson

Backup Copy Job over slow WAN

Post by ChrisJ83 »

Hi all

I am looking to automate a backup going to offsite to one of our remote offices, unfortunately the WAN link isn't great so it will be slow.

I already do various backup copy jobs which go to local storage devices and a USB rotation.

I originally was looking at setting a new job up with reverse incremental however upon doing the initial backup locally then only incremental's it was obviously holding the VM in a backing up state for a good few hours and I was concerned doing this along with the local backup would at some point in the future possible cause me issues and reduce my server reboot windows.

So I was hoping I could do something with the backups stored locally with backup copy jobs rather than on the live VM if I am making sense?

I don't mind setting up a local RI and then a backup copy job off the back of that as it doesn't take too much time doing a local RI but I don't see how that would work as it would already have injected the incremental changes into the full backup so surely the full backup would try to transfer?

Any advice welcome, I am new to Veeam so have limited knowledge.

Cheers
Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job over slow WAN

Post by foggy »

ChrisJ83 wrote:So I was hoping I could do something with the backups stored locally with backup copy jobs rather than on the live VM if I am making sense?
This makes total sense, backup copy jobs were designed specifically with this use case in mind.
ChrisJ83 wrote:I don't mind setting up a local RI and then a backup copy job off the back of that as it doesn't take too much time doing a local RI but I don't see how that would work as it would already have injected the incremental changes into the full backup so surely the full backup would try to transfer?
Regardless of the fact that changes are already injected into the full backup file, backup copy job will copy just the changed blocks.
ChrisJ83
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Johnson

Post by ChrisJ83 »

Thanks for the reply foggy, really appreciated.

So at present I run an incremental local job which creates synthentic full backups periodically and has a retention period of 31 days then various backup copy jobs off that.

Would I best creating a new job alongside this and setting it to RI and then creating a backup copy job off the back of this to our offsite location?

Or am I better off just setting up a new backup copy job which goes to our offsite location (initial one done locally)? As even though the job will create a synthetic full backup every Saturday it will still only transfer changed blocks on the backup copy job not the new full backup?

Thanks again
Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can go either way, however I do not see why do you need another backup job to achieve what you want. Backup copy job works similarly with either of the backup methods as a source (forward/reverse).