Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
palw
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Wilson

Backup Copy Job Schedule

Post by palw »

Hi All,
We are still in the process of finalising the design of our Veeam environment and looking at the options for holding our retentions. First I will explain our current setup:

We have approx. 200VMs (35TB) in one vCenter cluster and do a Veeam replication to another site for DR - Working Well.
We are also backing up to local storage using reverse incremental every night keeping 4 weeks - Working Well.

I have a secondary location with disk available for saving the retentions, currently we are running a backup copy job continuously for a small amount of the backups for testing. However I would prefer to not be copying data everyday just once a week, would this be possible or recommended with the backup copy jobs?

For an example of keeping a 6 month retention, I was thinking we could use these settings
Copy Every: 1 Day at 9PM
Restore Points to keep: 2
Keep Restore points for archival purposes: 6 monthly (First Saturday)
Change the schedule to only transfer from 9PM Friday to Sunday night.

Would this work or is there a better way to set this up? I don't need the data copied to the retentions location immediately as I have a DR site for this.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Schedule

Post by foggy »

Paul, with the "Copy every" interval set to 1 day backup copy job will try to copy changes every day, but will fail each time except the allowed Friday night. You'd better set the "Copy every" interval to 1 week to meet your requirements. Thanks.
palw
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Wilson

Post by palw »

Thanks for the reply, so I would change the "copy every" interval to 7 Day? How can we make sure it runs on a Friday night?

Sorry anther questions, if we then set our retentions to Keep on a Monday, will the transform run on a Monday to does it wait until another copy job process has started?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

palw wrote:Thanks for the reply, so I would change the "copy every" interval to 7 Day? How can we make sure it runs on a Friday night?
Yes, you can change the setting to 7 days and start new synchronization interval by selecting the Sync Now command on the job's shortcut menu at the required time (on Friday).
palw wrote:Sorry anther questions, if we then set our retentions to Keep on a Monday, will the transform run on a Monday to does it wait until another copy job process has started?
Not sure I fully understand the question. Could you please clarify it a little further?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

1)You can also start new synchronization interval automatically. Just schedule this custom PS script to run Friday.

2) Are you talking here about GFS rotation scheme ("Keep the following restore points for archival purpose")? If so, then, the backup copy job won't run GFS transform on Monday, instead, it will wait until the oldest restore point (.vbk) reaches the given day, and only then backup copy job will perform it.

Thanks.