Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rleon
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: RLeon

Backup Copy Job Stacking

Post by rleon »

Hi all,

I would like to know if it is possible to design a layered/stacked Backup Copy Job workflow?
First of all, I understand that I can create 2 additional copies of a backup like this:
BackupJob1->RepoA
BackupCopyJob1: Source=RepoA, Target=RepoB
BackupCopyJob2: Source=RepoA, Target=RepoC

However, I do not want traffic to have to come out from RepoA twice.
Is it possible to design the data path such that RepoC could get its copy from RepoB?
E.g.:
BackupJob1->RepoA
BackupCopyJob1: Source=RepoA, Target=RepoB
BackupCopyJob2: Source=RepoB, Target=RepoC

If possible, then now many layers could this go? (E.g., BackupCopyJob3: Source=RepoC, Target=RepoD... and so on)

Thanks in advance.

RLeon
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy Job Stacking

Post by PTide »

Hi,

First of all, may I ask you how are you going to use the second copy of your backup chain? Do you want to keep it for long-term archiving purpose, or something else?

Thank you
rleon
Enthusiast

Post by rleon »

Hi PTide,
The 2nd copy will likely be given a longer retention.
Another reason for wanting to do this is the need to have multiple copies of the same backups at different geographical locations.
Some of our customers do this with their other backup software.
Back to the main question, can jobs be layered/stacked in the way described in the opening post?

Thanks for your help.

RLeon
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

The 2nd copy will likely be given a longer retention.
That's what we have GFS retention for. If you want to keep incrementals as well then you should either stick with File Copy Job or use some custom post-job scripts to copy the chain offsite and update it every time the job is finished.
Back to the main question, can jobs be layered/stacked in the way described in the opening post?
However there is a workaround provided by Tom:
Tom Sightler wrote:Backup Job is configured to backup to Repo1

Backup Copy Job 1 is configured to use Backup Job as selected object (I don't think this matters could use Infrastructure, Job, or Backup to select the objects), and then the "Source" button is used select only "Repo1" as the source repo. The job copies restore point from "Repo1" to "Repo2".

Backup Copy Job 2 is configured to use Backup Job as selected object just like BCJ1 (once again, don't think this matters), and then "Source" button is used to select only "Repo2" as the source repo. This job copies the points from "Repo2" to "Repo3".

This configured seems to work in light testing, so I think the question is whether there are any issues that might be a problem with this configuration.
Thank you
rleon
Enthusiast

Post by rleon »

Seems that the key is to use the "Source" button to pick a specific repository.
Looks like the plan would work. (Still need to test it eventually.)
Thanks!