Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

Backup Copy: Never transfer a full backup

Post by Regnor »

Hi @all!
I should probably check that in a lab and look closer at the Backup Copy feature but perhaps the community can help me understand this one :)

Scenario:
Backup Copy is used to move the daily backup to an offsite repository via a tiny WAN connection. The first full backup will be manually moved with a USB disk to the target repository so that it can be used for seeding/mapping.
The WAN connection will be too slow to ever successfully copy a full backup offsite and the primary backup job will create full backups from time to time, so the backup chain will also be recreated.

So, will it be possible to do a forever incremental Backup Copy job without the need to copy over a full backup ever again?
And if so, where are the limitations or risks which could force the copy of a full backup?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup Copy: Never transfer a full backup

Post by dellock6 »

Hi,
backup copy job is by design a forever incremental activity. It does not move a daily backup offsite as you said, rather it synthetically creates a restore point using a primary job as a source for its data. So it does not matter if the source job has a weekly full.
As long as the backup copy job chain is kept in place, incrementals at the beginning of the chain will be merged with the full, but this operation is done by the repository at the target side, so again no need for huge transfers over the wan.

If the bandwidth is a huge issue, you should be careful to not restart the chain, or also avoid operations like defrag into VMs which would lead to large amounts of changed blocks in the primary job, which will then moved into the backup copy.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Hi Luca,

thanks for your reply.
Could you please also explain to me what exactly you mean with chain and how I would not restart it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backup chain is a set of files containing VM restore points - e.g. first full (VBK) and subsequent increments (VIB). By restarting it Luca means any action that would cause entire VM data to be transferred over a slow link (can be a consequence of changed VM ID, for example, or job re-creation).
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Regarding the VM ID; if I restore a VM, does this mean that I can't map it to an existing Backup Copy?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you'd add the VM restored to a new location to existing job, it will be copied in its entirety.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Ok I understand that.
Both of you many thanks for the great explanation!
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

Make sure you have a repo proxy server on the target side.

I have tested with a SMB repo available via WAN (simple cloud storage), but the merging is really slow because the server on the source side does the merging over the tiny WAN connection.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

ITP-Stan wrote:Make sure you have a repo proxy server on the target side.
Right, called gateway server in the repository settings.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

ITP-Stan wrote:Make sure you have a repo proxy server on the target side.

I have tested with a SMB repo available via WAN (simple cloud storage), but the merging is really slow because the server on the source side does the merging over the tiny WAN connection.
Of course I would install a repository server at the central site, thanks for mentioning that.

I'm currently doing some tests in a lab, with a virtual 5Mbit connection :)
I'll report back if I experience any problems.