Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rstone
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rob Stone

Backup Copy or File Copy

Post by rstone »

I think I need advise! I have just moved my NAS locally to have faster backups and I have got a new NAS for off-site. Two weeks ago I then setup a Backup copy to the remote NAS and all is working nicely. My two issue are when I try a restore from the remote copy some of my servers only have 'increment' including my main file server. I would expect at least one Full?

Also my plan was after 3 months backup a months worth of 'off-sites copies' to tape but this looks confusing as it has one small vbk file and lots of large vib files so not sure how I would backup one month? On Friday I altered the backup copy job by ticking the 'keep the following restore points for archival purposes' but I have noticed any difference, will I?

Is it better for me to forget about the backup copy option, start again and create a file copy job and then just backup a months worth to tape after the 3 months copy?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy or File Copy

Post by veremin »

I think I need advise! I have just moved my NAS locally to have faster backups and I have got a new NAS for off-site. Two weeks ago I then setup a Backup copy to the remote NAS and all is working nicely. My two issue are when I try a restore from the remote copy some of my servers only have 'increment' including my main file server. I would expect at least one Full?
Take a look at "backups" node, find corresponding backup, and check how many fulls are present; there should be at least one full backup. Also, can you successfully restore from those points?
On Friday I altered the backup copy job by ticking the 'keep the following restore points for archival purposes' but I have noticed any difference, will I?
You will see the difference, when current retention is reached, and the latest point is moved to the day specified for GFS point creation.

Thanks.
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

The main backup of my main file server has 7 full backups but the off-site backup copy of my main file server has none, just 'increment''? I can restore from these increment's OK. Should I be worried?

So going back to GFS, if I set on 'my Backup Copy Job' my 'Restore Points to keep' to 30, the weekly backups to 4 (starting at 22:00), the monthly backups to 12 (Last Sunday of Month) then after 30 days I should see some weekly and monthly vbk files that I can put onto tape?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The main backup of my main file server has 7 full backups but the off-site backup copy of my main file server has none, just 'increment''? I can restore from these increment's OK. Should I be worried?
Strange, might be a GUI glitch or something. Full backup for sure is present on the disks (you can double check it), because without it restores would be impossible.
So going back to GFS, if I set on 'my Backup Copy Job' my 'Restore Points to keep' to 30, the weekly backups to 4 (starting at 22:00), the monthly backups to 12 (Last Sunday of Month) then after 30 days I should see some weekly and monthly vbk files that I can put onto tape?
30 days, plus, the time it takes the oldest point to reach the day specified for GFS point creation.

Thanks.
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

Brilliant, thank you. I will see what happens in 30 days plus and have lots of fingers crossed.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.