Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Backup Copy Scheduling

Post by Keyser »

Hi

I'm trying to create a Backup Copy job that runs once a month and creates a copy on a secondary site for long time retention.

Is it correct that I cannot make a Copy job that only runs once a month on the first saturday (like i can schedule in the primary backup jobs)?
I seem to only be able to schedule to minutes, hours and days.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Scheduling

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Keyser,

You can make a Copy job that only runs once a month.

You need to choose copy every = 30 days and you will have the job running once a month. Thank you.
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser »

Hmm, then I'm a bit confused.
What does the "Copy Every" setting do then? I thought it specified when the Target is updated with the retentionpoints that are available on the source.

Are you saying If i specify that I only want a monthly copy on the Target, the "Copy every" interval will only update the target copy after the appropriate time for a new monthly copy has been reached?

EDIT: you just changed your post/answer, so the above does not apply. Every 30 days is not really a good idea because I cannot control the job day. Every 30 days will not be a saturday every time.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Keyser,
I`ve updated the answer to make it simple. Sorry for mistiming.

"Copy Every" specifies how often backup copy job will start synchronization process. Means how often new restore points will be copied to the target repository.
Keyser wrote: Every 30 days is not really a good idea because I cannot control the job day. Every 30 days will not be a saturday every time.
In this case the synchronization will happen once in 30 days and save the last restore point. Please review the similar topic
What is the schedule of the main Backup job?

Thank you.
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser »

The main job is Scheduled to run every evening on weekdays with active full's done every friday. What I would like is to create a backup copy job to a different site every first saturday every month.
As far as I can tell that's not possible.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I believe you can expand current interval to some big value, say, 99 days or so and, then, trigger sync now option every first Saturday of month (script scheduled via Windows Scheduler). That should give you exactly what you're after. Thanks.
hayabusa
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] : Understanding Issue: Backup Copy Job

Post by hayabusa »

Hi there,

i have a little understanding issue with following backup type: backup copy job.

when i configure this type of job, i have to choose a "copy every" counter. in the description there is following comment:

controls how often backup copies are created. backup copy job creates a new backup file for each copy interval ...

is veeam checking on this time for a new restore point?
does veeam copying this restore point when it exist?

Later, i have to schedule the job, what happens when the time window is expired?

what exactly does the backup copy job? i have read a lot of descriptions but i dont understand this type of job ...

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your post has been merged into existing discussion regarding similar matter. Kindly, check the answers provided above, and ask for additional clarification, if needed. Thanks.