Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tnjus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Thomas M Njus

Backup Copy Seed from Reverse Incremental Backup clarificati

Post by Tnjus »

I have read the forums and KBs on seeding (have created multiple seeds in the past) but would like a bit of clarification on seeding from a reverse incremental.

The existing backup job is a reverse incremental with 9 restore points. I created the seed backup copy job to run every 1 day, with 7 restore points. (forgot to change the default). Based on this from the KB:

"When you configure an auxiliary backup copy job, make sure that its synchronization interval covers the whole chain of restore points on the backup repository from which you plan to copy backup files. The length of the synchronization interval has an impact on the algorithm of restore point selection. Veeam Backup & Replication copies only those restore points that match the following criterion:

Time of restore point creation >= current time – synchronization interval"

Will my seed be valid? (number of restore points don't match) My seed is 3TB so hopefully I won't need to re-create it.

On a related note, the original backup job contains 20 VMs. The Seed job was created by referring the that job as it's source. We would only like to copy 19 VMs after the seed has been successfully restored and sync'd. If I create the (non-auxiliary) backup copy job and list the VMs vs referring to the backup job, will this work?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/clarification!

Tom
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Seed from Reverse Incremental Backup clarifi

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Thomas,
Time of restore point creation >= current time – synchronization interval means that the file you copy to DR site should not be old. You can change the synchronization interval to accomplish seeding.
Tnjus wrote:On a related note, the original backup job contains 20 VMs. The Seed job was created by referring the that job as it's source. We would only like to copy 19 VMs after the seed has been successfully restored and sync'd. If I create the (non-auxiliary) backup copy job and list the VMs vs referring to the backup job, will this work?
Yes, just choose which VMs to copy in the backup copy job wizard.
Thanks!
Tnjus
Enthusiast

Post by Tnjus »

So, if I understand you correctly, the current seed I have is not valid? I thought that with a reverse incremental backup job, the VBK was always current, so we would be fine....?
Tnjus
Enthusiast

Post by Tnjus »

So I think it may be a matter of semantics... Sync interval VS restore points. If the backup job is set to run daily, and the auxiliary job is set to run daily, is that ok?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Correct. In your case it should not be a problem. Give it a try.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Tnjus wrote:If the backup job is set to run daily, and the auxiliary job is set to run daily, is that ok?
Technically backup copy job runs all the time being in one of 4 phases. You can just set when to start synchronization and when you don`t want it to run(backup window).
If you want it to copy all restore points created by the source job, make the copy job synchronize not rarer than the source job. You can set the synchronization even more often.
Thanks!