Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
manofbronze
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Backup Copy to Multiple Repositories

Post by manofbronze »

We have a client that wants to copy their local backups to (2) remote repositories. Currently, the client is sending backup copies to our cloud connect repository. For certain jobs and/or VMs, they would like to also copy to a secondary repository located on the client's WAN.

My initial thought is to define the new repository and simply create a second backup copy job that points to the new repository. Never having done this before, a couple concerns come immediately to mind:
1. Since Backup copy jobs are designed to sit idle and wait for new backup files; how do I schedule each job to prevent them from attempting to copy at the same time?
2. Is Item (1) even an issue? Can multiple backup copy jobs access the same backup job files at the same time?

Is anyone on this forum currently running multiple backup copy jobs against the same backup? Is there a better approach that I'm just not seeing?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy to Multiple Repositories

Post by veremin »

Is there a better approach that I'm just not seeing?
The approach you're currently thinking about is good one, indeed. It's widely spread among customers copying data to two or more remote locations.
Is Item (1) even an issue?
Not, it is not.
Can multiple backup copy jobs access the same backup job files at the same time?
Yes, they can.

Thanks.