Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Horace27
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Data encryption protect against Ransomware?

Post by Horace27 »

Hi all.
I'm evaluating to purchase Veeam B&R and I see it has several beatiful functions. The project I have in mind to implement after, forecast a 2nd level backup using a Backup copy job on a DR site and I have a doubt about to use data encryption. Because of the Veeam server will be installed on a Windows platform only accessible by administrator I think encryption could has a sense only if it will protect against ransomware encryption. What do you think about?

Best regards.
H
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Backup Data encryption protect against Ransomware?

Post by nitramd »

My understanding is that ransomware can encrypt encrypted files.

If you're concerned about security/ransomware, and who isn't, I suggest reading this post: veeam-backup-replication-f2/yes-ransomw ... 41500.html ; it's a long one.

Please note that I'm not trying to discourage you from using Veeam - it's an excellent backup tool with great features.

Hope this helps.

-MD
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Data encryption protect against Ransomware?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Backup encryption doesn't provide protection against ransomware, that's correct cause you can still access and encrypt data.
One of the strongest approach to protect backups called "Air Gapped" (Offline backups) which is described in this discussion - Summary of Anti-ransomware measures.

Thanks!