Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Backup fails after VM migration

Post by Peejay62 »

I had some VMs failed last night. All 4 of them have been migrated earlier during the day. The error it gives:
Processing 'xxxxxxxxxxx' Error: Client error: File does not exist or locked. VMFS path: [[yyyyyyyyyyy] xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx.vmx]. Please, try to download specified file using connection to the ESX server where the VM registered. Failed to create NFC download stream.
It were 4 different jobs of which three are defined by a folder, one of them has the VM directly added to it. I thought, at least when using a folder for backup, migration would not affect processing.
Anyway, how do I solve this? I assume rescanning my Vcenter will help but I think that is not a good option as VMs can be moving around all day.

Thanks, Peter
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup fails after VM migration

Post by veremin »

Hi, Peter, I'm wondering how objects have been added to the backup jobs. Via vCenter or via standalone host?

Thanks.
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi Vladimir, got your name right this time..

they are added via Vcenter. I now tried something and that is recalculating the size of the job and retry. This already worked for two VMs (folder-jobs). I presume the other two will work too. Will see that in a short time.
But anyway, migration should not affect jobprocessing. A periodic sync or something should be performed ( it is, isn't it?) to keep all things in sync.

Thanks Peter
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As long as objects are added to the job via vCenter, there shouldn't be any issues with VM migration, since vCenter connection makes jobs vMotion aware. The root cause of NFC failure might not be necessarily related to migration, and might be related to other things, instead. So, you might want to contact support team to confirm your environment.

Thanks.