Backup files not deleted according to retention policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backup files not deleted according to retention policy

Veeam Logoby bshubinsky » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:08 pm

My Veeam is currently set to 7 rollback points and for it to do a rollup on Sundays for the incremental. However, it does not appear to be rolling up (so I've got a ton of individual backups) and on top of that I've got 20 restore points instead of the 7.

Has anyone run into this problem?
bshubinsky
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Boris Shubinsky

Re: Rollback points and full backups

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Keep in mind that incremental backup mode by definition requires all previous backup files (full and incremental) to be available to make restore from incremental backup possible. So, as long as last incremental backup file in backup chain must be restorable according to set retention policy, whole respective full + incremental backup chain will have to stay on disk (resulting in more backup files on disk then you may have expected). After last incremental backup file in backup chain falls out of your data retention policy (which happens only when retention policy reaches next full backup file), whole previous full backup chain is removed at once.

On the other hand, reversed incremental backup mode (or incremental mode with transform enabled, once transformation happened) removes older restore points immediately, as soon as they fall out of retention policy. This, and the fact that these backup modes allow to keep only one backup file on disk no matter of how long your retention policy is, make them a few times more space efficient than traditional incremental backup.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2380 times

Veeam Logoby rowdy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm also seeing this in version 5.0.1:

I have the setting 'keep number of rollback points' set to 14, backups run every weekday (+Saturday, see below).
I'm making forward incremental backups with synthetic full every Saturday.
Furthermore, I have a full (normal) backup setup every first Saturday of the month.
So, I would expect to have a VBK file, then 5 VIB files (mo-fr) and then another VBK file with 5 more VIBs.
This is working fine, however, I have an 'infinite' number of restore points now and it just keeps creating VBK with VIB chains and never cleans up anything.
I manually delete the VBK/VIB chains over a month old but that's not the best way.

Do I have something set-up wrong or might there be a bug?
rowdy
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 pm

rowdy wrote:So, I would expect to have a VBK file, then 5 VIB files (mo-fr) and then another VBK file with 5 more VIBs.

No, this is exactly what most people tend to think for some reason, but it is incorrect assumption in case of traditional incremental backup... please read my explanation above carefully.

I guess I should try to visualize this based on your specific example...

Depending on specific day, in "best" case, with your retention and schedule you will have 14 files on disk (since you said your retention is 14 rollbacks):
Code: Select all
F I I I I I F I I I I I F I

However, in worst case, when small "i" is your 14th rollbackup point, you will have 20 files on disk:
Code: Select all
F I I I I i F I I I I I F I I I I I F I

The whole full backup chain with small "i" in the end will only be removed by retention after latest incremental is created sucessfully, and then we are back to having 14 files on disk.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:15 pm

That said, with your 14 point retention policy and 6/7 backup schedule, you should not have more than 4 fulls on disk at any given moment. If you have more than 4 fulls, I would recommend opening a support case and providing full logs. It should be clear from logs if data retention policy is being processed correctly (or why it is not processed). One thing that is unusual in your case is that you only do backup 6 days of the week, and there is always a chance of bug with non-default settings. ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rowdy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your drawing, however I don't fully understand it then. I will leave everything running a bit longer and stop manually deleting files and see what Veaam does :)
rowdy
Enthusiast

Restore Points

Veeam Logoby colintyrrell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:56 pm

[merged]

Hi,
h0pefully a simple question.

When backing up my servers I have selected 14 restore points.
But when I do a restore, it seems there are jobs with considerbaly more than 14 points..24 points, 23 points etc.

What am I doing incorrectly?
colintyrrell
Influencer

Full Name: Colin Tyrrell

Veeam Logoby Alexey D. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Colin, are you using incremental backups?
Alexey D.

Veeam Logoby colintyrrell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 pm

I am Alexey
colintyrrell
Influencer

Veeam Logoby colintyrrell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

Hi,
should i create a new post on this?
It really is becoming an increasingly critical issue.
At the moment I seem to have little choice but to create new jobs in order to free up space.

For instance the new job is set yo use 7 restore points. after 9 days I'm up to 9 points.
Am i doing something silly?
colintyrrell
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Alexey D. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am

Hello Colin,

Please read this thread, it explains your case: v5 Restore Point Bug?
Alexey D.

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Here is another topic explaning this behaviour, please have a look: Job Set for 14 Mount Points - 46 exist

If you have little space on your target storage, then you should probably switch to Reversed Inceremental backup mode.

Please have a look at the Excel table showing all the Pros and Cons of different backup modes: [FAQ] v5 : Frequently Asked Questions > Answers
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Incremental backups and restore points

Veeam Logoby bshubinsky » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm

[merged]

Quick question: if I'm doing incremental backups with Veeam, the restore points to keep on disk number; does this refer to full backups, or incremental days? The reason is this:

I'm currently running incrementals with 4 days. I'm starting to run out of space - I tried doing a full backup to have it roll up the previous incrementals but it's still keeping them out there, which isn't helping my situation.
bshubinsky
Novice

Full Name: Boris Shubinsky

Best way to backup.

Veeam Logoby Chriss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

[merged]

We cuurently backup all our virtuals to disk using Veeam. These backups, are then copied using MS DFS to our DR site.
Every weekend, we write the disk backups to tape, and move them off site. My problem is, I only want 8 backups on site here at Corporate, as we have limited disk space on our EVA. When I look at the backups, some of the servers have 32 and more restore points. What would be the best settings to ensure this.
Chriss
Novice

Full Name: Chris Steenkamp

Incremental jobs and retention

Veeam Logoby chrmol » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

[merged]

Hi.
We are running Incremental jobs with weekly active full ones pr day and with retention set to 21 - but files older than 21 (days) doesnt seam to be deleted in the filesystem.
Have we misunderstanded the meaning of retention (I know that it isnt days! - but number of backups :-)
chrmol
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christian Moeller

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication