Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adambar456
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Barfield

Backup Job continues to run outside of schedule

Post by adambar456 »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if I am correct in the following assumptions:

I have setup a Backup job to begin at 19:30, within the "schedule" options it is set to stop at 07:00AM.

Unfortunately, this job has continued to run into the working hours running over the configured cut off time of 7:00AM, 2 hours before production begins.

Is anyone able to confirm if they have had a similar experience with Veaam jobs overrunning ? In Particular, can you say that if a job is "started manually" (right click > start) instead of via schedule, should the original configured "running hours" still be honoured? I have seen this working fine previously, I felt this to be a very strange outcome.

Thank you for your consideration. :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Job continues to run outside of schedule

Post by veremin »

Can you post a screenshot or a description of schedule settings? Also, I'm wondering whether the backup window (available at the bottom) is configured. Thanks!
adambar456
Novice

Post by adambar456 »

Certainly!

Run the job automatically at this time:

19:00 Everyday

Retry failed items

3 retried failed attempts

wait 10 minutes before re-attempt

Terminate the job outside this window:

Monday - Friday :

7:00AM - 18:00 PM

Saturday - Sunday

ALL times.

To be clear, in this instance, I manually started the job at approx. 22:00PM , it then continued to run within production hours and did not adhere to the 7:00AM Cut off (this was a Tuesday).

Thanks,
Adam
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you manually start a job during a time prohibited by backup window settings, you will get a warning - cannot recall the actual text, but it suggests that one tries to execute a job during a restricted time interval and asks for the user’s approval.

If you manually start a job during a time allowed by backup window settings, you will not get a warning, and a job will be allowed to start and continue (even when it reaches the prohibited time).

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
adambar456
Novice

Post by adambar456 »

This does help, thank you.

Is it worth considering some kind of warning on jobs with prohibited time windows along the lines of "Starting this job manually will result in the backup not stopping within the prohibited window" ?

I can see this causing issues for customers who don't want backups to run into production time as it is not clear that the manual start will cause it to run outside of the window?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I'm not sure whether we've got similar requests before and how introducing a new warning for existing scenarios might affect current customers, but we will think about how the experience can be improved in future product versions.

Thanks for the feedback!