Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arickels1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: arickels1

Backup job naming - best practices?

Post by arickels1 »

Hi all-

We have recently invested in Veeam Availability for our enterprise. As part of the planning stage of our implementation, we're working on documenting the naming standards for job creation.

Here's an example of what I've been thinking:

Job name= [Datacenter or site location][vSphere Tag, Folder, or manual select][Environment, Test, Dev, Stage, Prod][Job attributes or application][Retention]

Examples:
DC1-TAG-T-Cognos-90
DC2-FOL-P-MSSQL-7

The goal would be for a number of operators to easily identify a job's function simply by name as well as to standardize the process of building new jobs.

Does anyone have any best practices they can share? Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup job naming - best practices?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi arickels1 and welcome to the forum!

The question is interesting, but I think there is no best practices about jobs` naming since it really depends on your infrastructure and needs.
For instance, if you have just one site location or datacenter, you don`t need that field in the name. However, you might use different backup methods and need to know it at a glance for each job.

In my understanding, a job`s name should differentiate it from others and say what the job does. So, just put in the name the options you want to know for the job quick identification.

Let`s see if other participants have the relevant experience to share.

Thank you.