Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aaron22
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup On-Prem To Cloud for Off-Site DR?

Post by aaron22 »

I'm new to Veeam and am a bit confused by what should be a relatively simple subject, but I'm trying to get my local on-prem Veeam backups to copy to a cloud servers, (Amazon, Azure, etc.) so that we have off-site storage. I've been trying to work with support and they are suggesting using tape backups instead of scale-out repositories, then sign up for Amazon AWS virtual tabe library.

Does this sound accurate? I have to say this simple process seems unnecessarily complicated in Veeam. Our last backup solution, AppAssure/Rapid Recovery was extremely simple. With that you just go into Azure, create a RapidRecovery VM, add your license then connect the two and they will sync when you want them to. Using tape backups when we don't have any tape backups seems like some odd work-around for something I thought Veeam was fully capable of doing.

Is the support rep I'm working with correct that I need to setup a tape backup job and create an Amazon account with virtual tapes? Or is there a more straightforward process?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup On-Prem To Cloud for Off-Site DR?

Post by Gostev »

You're receiving different answers because they look to be confused whether you want to backup to a backup repository running in an IaaS instance, or to object storage. Further, if with S3 the approach depends on your specific requirement: whether you need to copy current backups, or offload older backups. Thus all the different answers, everyone is thinking about something different.

Based on your reference to your previous product, you want to do the former. Veeam can certainly do that for you, and the process is even simpler (no need to install the license). All you need to do is to create an Azure VM, and make it your backup repository using the New Backup Repository wizard. Of course, you need to ensure secure connectivity over the Internet (VPN is highly recommended).